The Toughest Bridge in the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The easiest resolution to this situation is to EDUCATE THE NUT ON THE STEERING WHEEL.
If they raised the bridge (which is very expensive) some dang fool would hit the bridge abutment that holds the bridge up.
The simpelest thing is to just CLOSE THE ROAD TO EVERYONE.  This would totally prevent these accidents for ever.  Of course, it would hurt the people in cars but it would eliminate the problem. 
Some people should not be allowed to push a wheel barrow much less drive a vehicle. 

Mind you this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.....cj

Did anyone notice the sacrificial beam?  The bridge is so tough because it never actually gets hit.  Wonder if they ground a knife edge on that beam the way it shaved the top of some of those units.

Reminds me of the old story about the farmer who's mule refused to go into the barn because its ear hit the top of the doorway.  A city slicker walking down the road saw the farmer's predicament and stopped to see if he could help.  He suggested the farmer tie the mules ears down, but the farmer said he had tried that and the mule baulked and would not move.  He then suggested the farmer dig out the area below the doorway.  The farmer ignored the suggestion so the city slicker went on down the road.  After he was out of earshot, the farmer mumbled, "Stupid city slicker.  It's the mule's ears that's a problem, not his feet."

Ever since I purchased my RV I have been very conscience of height restrictions and low overpasses. Almost to the point of being paranoid. :-\

We seem to have a similar problem in Niagara as witnessed by the picture below. Unfortunately not an uncommon sight in this area. There are a number of low overpasses in this area but that resulted in more than a few unsuspecting drivers paying the price for their inattention.. There is also an International Bridge ... the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge ... between Niagara Falls, Ontario and Niagara Falls, NY that is fairly low. It has claimed many an unsuspecting truck driver. I remember investigating such an accident at that location a few years ago. I was about to charge the driver but he insisted that his truck was lower than the posted height signs. I got the take measure out and sure enough the sign was out by several inches. I later learned that the local municipally had repaved the road surface and neglected to check the height under the bridge. DUH!!

Even funnier was the driver of a double deck tour bus that KNOWS he has to detour around this bridge ... had a bus load of Japanese tourists and got distracted and drove ... or I should say tried to drive under the bridge. C-R-A-S-H!!! Now it was a single deck bus. Fortunately no one was injured but the tourists were taking a lot of pictures.  ;D

As a reminder to our US visitors remember to know the height of your RV in metres. Canada uses the metric system and accordingly most height signs are in metres. The odd one ... maybe both metres and feet. Best to be safe though.

Attachments

• PICT5377a.jpg
    PICT5377a.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 29
Reminds me of the story when the police officer pulled up behind the truck stuck under the bridge.  The officer walked up to the cab and asked the driver if he was stuck, the driver responded  no I'm delivering the bridge and just waiting for the contractor to show up.

Tin man said:
Reminds me of the story when the police officer pulled up behind the truck stuck under the bridge.  The officer walked up to the cab and asked the driver if he was stuck, the driver responded  no I'm delivering the bridge and just waiting for the contractor to show up.

ROTFLMAO  :D ;D :D ;) ;D :) ;D

davencjkan said:
There is a train trestle in Fort Scott, KS that is the same height 11' 8".  We have seen many a truck and RV get stuck under it.

Oh heck ... if they are getting stuck under it they just aren't driving fast enough to get under it!!

Along that same light. I investigated a train/car accident one night. Pitch black out ... this was in a country setting and there were no warning lights. The driver (lucky to be alive) claims he saw lights coming towards him and never realized that it was cars stopped on the other side of the tracks. He went flying UNDER a box car that had a raised bottom right through to the other side. Shot out just like a rocket. The guy was shaken and injured but alive to tell the sorry.

Looking back at it, it was funny as heck ... maybe not for him but I get a smile on my face every time I think about it.  ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom