Thinking About Three-wheeled Electric Bike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyJB

I have come to a big decision. Over the past two years, I have become more and more worried about falling when I ride my electric bike. I have been a lifelong bike rider and really enjoy the experience, but I am going to be 81 in June, and my balance is a lot worse than in the past. Plus, I am more hesitant while riding and feel more wobbly and less secure. I have not ridden my bike more than a handful of times over the past year, and this past week decided that I either need to ride it more to get more confident or give it up entirely. However, riding it several days in a row has not really helped, so I have decided to look for an electric trike. Having three wheels will make me feel more secure, with a lot less of a chance of falling and breaking a bone.

There are several brands available, but I don't want to buy one without trying it out. So, when I get to Ohio, I will do some more serious searching. I really like having an electric bike because it helps me get around campgrounds, especially since I do not tow a car. So, I had a neighbor help me load my bike on my bike rack, and I locked it down. Will wash the cover tomorrow and put that back on until I get to Ohio.

Some of the ones I have seen online weigh about what my current bike does, about 55 pounds, which is good. I am hoping I can find one that will fold sideways to become more narrow and fit on a rack on the back of my motorhome. Most of the trikes that are advertised as folding, fold into a square to fit into a trunk, which is not what I need. I know I'll need a ramp sort of rack, but I was hoping to not have it stick out too much in the back.

Has anyone tried an electric trike and use a bike rack of some sort to carry it around?

JudyJB I've been looking for a two seater and have exactlly the same questions.
Please keep us posted on your search. I've looked at a bunch of them and am staggered at the price and frustrated on how to carry it with us on our TT. I wish I could provide you with some answers, but I have found that there is no simple solution.

Safe travels and all the best.

I'd replace your bike rack with a mobility scooter rack. Just roll the trike on instead of having to lift it onto a bike rack. Here's one example:

Amazon.com

Wife bought electric trike a year ago from Amazon. 350 watt, $1000 to front door. Very good bike, but you’d best be very familiar with bike repair to assemble it.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to weld aluminum and have a lot of aluminum stock. I bought a Harbor Freight aluminum cargo carrier, widened 1/2 of it to 31” and built a double folding ramp ,front cage, and etc. for it.

Works great. Even though it’s aluminum, it’s heavy and awkward. I added six 3” caster wheels. 4 on the bottom and 2 on outer edge.
I can flip it on its edge, roll it easily through doors, down driveway, whatever to receiver hitch. Flip it flat on floor Jack and easily hook it up myself. Added bonus, wheels on bottom great for going through dips.

Mobility scooter rack good idea, but watch width. You’ll need about 2 feet of 30+” width.

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1745.jpeg
    IMG_1745.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 8
Coincidentally, I was talking to the cycling group leader of our local retired guys club, and asked if they still had any tricycle riders (I'd seen one in a prior group photo). He explained that their latest group member had bought an electric trike - it sounded like a 'recumbent' trike. He casually mentioned that the guy paid $15,000 for it :eek: I didn't ask how the guy gets the trike between his home in the hills to the valley where the guys hold their 3-times weekly rides, but I wlll next time I talk with him.

Wife bought electric trike a year ago from Amazon. 350 watt, $1000 to front door. Very good bike, but you’d best be very familiar with bike repair to assemble it.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to weld aluminum and have a lot of aluminum stock. I bought a Harbor Freight aluminum cargo carrier, widened 1/2 of it to 31” and built a double folding ramp ,front cage, and etc. for it.

Works great. Even though it’s aluminum, it’s heavy and awkward. I added six 3” caster wheels. 4 on the bottom and 2 on outer edge.
I can flip it on its edge, roll it easily through doors, down driveway, whatever to receiver hitch. Flip it flat on floor Jack and easily hook it up myself. Added bonus, wheels on bottom great for going through dips.

Mobility scooter rack good idea, but watch width. You’ll need about 2 feet of 30+” width.
Wow Great job Jubileee!! :love:

You may want to re-think that if going to live in Florida. S-28 is in the works on EV as they pay no FUEL TAX. There will soon be a yearly fee which comes from FUEL FEE's. A charge of $200. then at some point jumps to $250, both per year. Learn more by Click Here

You may want to re-think that if going to live in Florida.
I don't plan to ever live in Florida, and I don't think an electric bike here needs a license anyway, even if it does have three wheels, because it is certainly not road-worthy. (I am just staying here for the winter and will be headed north in a couple of weeks.)

Reactions: SMR
Right after I posted this question, I saw my neighbors ride their bikes in. One was a regular bike and the other was an electric trike. It has 20" tires and weighs 62 pounds without the battery, but I did not like the motorcycle-type twist throttle because I have slid my hand forward on my current electric bike, and it took off on me. (My original e-bike had a thumb throttle, which I felt was much safer.)

Been looking online and found one bike I kind of like. It has a thumb throttle and 16" tires. Without the battery, it only weighs 54 pounds which is 8 pounds less than the above option, and the seat is a bit lower. However, I am concerned about its having smaller wheels. Are they likely to be less stable? EZ Transit Folding Electric Trike | Foldable E Trike for Adults

I am going to be carrying this on the back of my motorhome in a carrier with a ramp, but being able to handle it easily and riding stability are going to be important to me. Opinions?

I think the smaller wheels would make it a bit easier to get on and off. Can't say on the stability for sure but would guess it wouldn't affect it much.

My biggest problem is being only 5'1" tall.
Given your height I think you achieve better stability the lower you are. Also the 16" wheels will have greater torque making it easier to push peddles (assuming similar gear ratio with 20" wheel one).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom