Thoughts about a 62 GM bus conversion?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
utahclaimjumper said:
These buses were stock with a Detroit 8V71 (568 CID) two stroke engine (270 HP) or upgraded to a 304 HP with larger injectors. The trans will be a stock Spicer 4 speed stick (non-syncromesh) or an Allison V730 automatic. They are generally NOT turbocharged and will struggle up the hills and in the mountains  These buss es were built for Greyhound and are 35 foot in length and 96" wide, the wheelwells protrude up through the floor  and they have NO FRAME. The body is monocoupe construction (like a beer can) and a reskin job is very importand to be done right, this one isn't impressive, in fact very rough. The front and rear "caps" appear to R&M fiberglas and its been re skinned in aluminium from the waist up and over the roof. The stock skin is anodized in such a way that it cannot be polished, it has to be painted or left natural if in good shape... It COULD be a fun project, but don't expect to have it useable any time soon.>>>Dan

I drove buses for a living...one was a 4106 (a 1963, IIRC).  It had an 8V71 but it WAS turbocharged...no idea of the rating, but the MCI's and Prevosts with 500HP DD-60's wouldn't pull away on the grades! (Yes, I DO realize they were probably 8,000lbs heavier!)  They drive wonderfully...yes, it still had the Spicer crash box. (The hioghest compliment I ever got was someone not realizing the bus was a standard shift until the second day on the road!)  Some (including the one I drove) had air-assist steering.

Detroit driving 101: drive it like you hate it.  Seriously: don't lug it.  2-stroke Jimmys NEED to spin.  Try to keep it above 1500RPM. (The governor should be ~2200.)  Use ONLY SAE30 or SAE40 Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella oil with a CF-2 or better rating.  That's it!  Do not run multi-weight oil in a Detroit!

Are you lucky enough to have a Jake Brake?

dniko1978 said:
So my husband & I are considering buying a 1962 GM bus ( we currently have an 84 class C). It needs a little cosmetic TLC, interior is about 95% there. ( just needs to be changed up to suit our likes). The exterior needs to be buffed out & painted. The asking price is $4,000, does that sound reasonable? We are going to try to meet with the seller later this week, so if anyone has comments or suggestions I would appreciate the input.

I saw this post a little late. If the bus is in overall decent shape, it's a good deal. It looks like you got it a little cheaper than the original asking price. The metal alone is worth close to that on the scales. I think you will like it. I plan to pick up my next bus conversion next week (1964 PD4106). Overall, one of the best bus's for converting... in my opinion. Built like a tank, get's about 7 to 10 MPG, and the 8v71 is a rock solid engine.

Congratulations!

Thanks for all the advice!! Feel free to keep the advice coming. We are looking forward to getting the bus this week (Irene delayed the delivery a little)!!

The 63 mentioned in an above post, just returned from a 1500 Mi. trip thru yellowstone, Cody, Wy. and so forth, after some work,, made the trip leak free and trouble free with a round trip average of 8.9 MPG.>>>Dan

Well the new project is in the driveway!!!! We installed a converter/battery charger yesterday afternoon. First small project done at least.

I think the old buses are really neat.  Could you post some pictures after you paint the it?  If you should decide to do so..  good luck with your new project..

sincerely, JOE

Back
Top Bottom