Throttle Position Sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess it's a component not that many people have tackled DIY style here.

Upon reviewing some YouTube videos (none specifically for a F53) it looks relatively simple, in terms of replacement - but again, it depends on how accessible is the throttle body in your rig.

Not too sure about the calibration part, though.

YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQMQPh0Hm

Basically you verify you have 0.45 volts from ground to the center pin of the 3 pin connector when the ignition is on and the throttle plate is in the idle position. If you don't, loosen the screw on the sensor mount and rotate it until you get 0.45 volts.

I think that it calibrates itself after you disconnect the negative cable from the battery for 5 minutes or so. After connecting the battery back up, turn the key to on but do not crank the engine. After all of the initial self tests, it should self calibrate.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the PCM sends a voltage to the TPS motor and monitors the position indicator voltage and maps it to the gas pedal voltage. For idle, it varies the idle position until the desired RPM is reached at operating temperature.

Worth a try, you can't hurt anything

Has anyone replaced and calibrated a Ford F53 V10 TPS ?
I worked on a Mercury Sable that threw a TPS code. Turned out to be a chafed harness at the throttle pedal. I was able to buy a harness pigtail and patch it in.

The TPS itself was fine.

Symptom was to periodically go into "limp" mode - i.e. min power or just enough to get to the side of the road and call for help/tow.

Thanks all. My symptoms are sporadic lack of throttle response after stopped at traffic light, or in stop and go traffic. Also, milage has dropped signifyingly.

It could also be the gas pedal voltage or harness. Probably need to put a live scan tool on it while the symptoms happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom