Thule Storage Container

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRickey

I have a large Thule storage container I use to mount on the roof rack of my van and I would like to use it on my '92 Itasca Class A.  The MH has a fiberglass roof.  I can't use the roof rack do to location to I need ideas for mounting something on the roof to attack the container to. thanks

Does not sound like a good idea. The Winnebago roof is only rated for about 300 lbs and the glass is not that thick. Drilling holes in the roof is also problematic. Other issues to consider are vertical clearance and the center of gravity.

gwd

We used to carry a Port-A-Bote (folding boat) on the roof of our previous motorhome and fifth wheel, both with rubber roofs (EDPM rubber over thin plywood).  I just mounted pressure treated 2x6 to the roof with lag screws and then attached the mounts to those.  Naturally I tried to hit a cross-member in the roof, but that turned out to be impossible most of the time.  Use plenty of caulk at the screw holes and under the 2x6 to make sure the water stays out.

I had a Thule 'Weekender' mounted on my roof of my truck camper.  Worked great.  What I did was mount with carriage bolts thru the ceiling and roof to a C channel bar.  (the kind used for supporting A?C units in buildings, can't remember name for it), then using the spring nuts for it, bolted thru the Thule into them.  Had it up there 5 years, no leaks no loose no problem. 

As mentioned, seal it good. 

Winnebago does have F/G roof, but still mounted over trusses.  Pay real close attention, maybe write to Winnebago for placement and you can do it right.  No matter how you do it, don't store the cock collection up there, makes good storage for extra chairs, a bike, other light stuff. 

Back
Top Bottom