Tiffin Phaeton Onan 7500 diesel generator won't stay running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdhunter789

It might run a couple of hours or maybe 5 or 6. Full of oil, full of coolant. Was running perfect. Seems hard to start when starting back. I think it is a fuel issue but wanted thoughts on it. Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Thanks in advance

What year is your Phaeton? Earlier generators had vented fuel caps. If not working correctly could cause generator to run for some time before starving.

The first item would be the easiest,, change the fuel filter,, available at NAPA stores,, you will find it under the lower flapper door where the oil filter is.. I does not spin off like an oil filter,, it will take some wrenches and a need to detach the inlet fuel line,, working room is tight but not difficult..>>>Dan

Last edited:
What year is your Phaeton? Earlier generators had vented fuel caps. If not working correctly could cause generator to run for some time before starving.
On most diesel rigs (and many gassers) the main fuel tank is what the generator runs from, not a separate tank for the generator. So if the fuel cap were the problem, likely the main engine would also have a problem. Or maybe this is a very early version with a different layout?

In any case, I agree with Dan that the fuel filter is a likely thing to check, along with the quantity of fuel in the main fuel tank- so many rigs are plumbed such that if the main tank is below ¼ tank or so that it can't draw more fuel, so that you won't strand yourself.

The first item would be the easiest,, change the fuel filter,, available at NAPA stores,, you will find it under the lower flapper door where the oil filter is.. I does not spin off like an oil filter,, it will take some wrenches and a need to detach the inlet fuel line,, working room is tight but not difficult..>>>Dan
I haven't had time yet but that was first

On most diesel rigs (and many gassers) the main fuel tank is what the generator runs from, not a separate tank for the generator. So if the fuel cap were the problem, likely the main engine would also have a problem. Or maybe this is a very early version with a different layout?

In any case, I agree with Dan that the fuel filter is a likely thing to check, along with the quantity of fuel in the main fuel tank- so many rigs are plumbed such that if the main tank is below ¼ tank or so that it can't draw more fuel, so that you won't strand yourself.
Full tank of fuel. Come a pretty good cold snap here so I put power service in it.

Back
Top Bottom