Tire Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since nitrogen is a non-flammable, colorless, odorless and tasteless gas how would one verify that the tires are filled with it versus being full of hot air?
Are you suggesting that the salesman might not be completely truthful?? Can't possibly happen!

Since nitrogen is a non-flammable, colorless, odorless and tasteless gas how would one verify that the tires are filled with it versus being full of hot air?
Capture some of the air in the tire in a balloon, then see if it snuffs out a flame when released gently past it. No oxygen = no flame.

We just got our TT back from the dealer after having $3400 worth of damage repaired from a tire blow out. The tires were OEM and were over 4 years old. Westlake Tires. They looked good. No overt wear etc. The one tire exploded en route to a campground. I check the tires prior to each trip and make sure they are aired up to spec. After having the TT repaired, I took it to a tire shop 1/4 mile from the dealer and had all 4 tires (plus the spare) replaced. Peace of mind.

Nitrogen is somewhat more temperature stable than air, however air is more likely to have contaminates such as moisture in it, which expands as it is heater and also can damage the tire and the rim. Jet aircraft use nitrogen due to the contaminates and high heat issue. There was an accident many years ago where an aircraft with unusually hot wheels retracted the landing gear after take off without allowing the wheels to cool first. One of the wheels exploded in the wheel well and if I recall, someone in the cabin was killed. This resulted in an FAA Airworthiness Directive on certain transport category aircraft to have placards installed (and maintenance manual revisions) to require that the wheels be inflated with dry nitrogen only. These were aircraft such as the Boeing 727, Lockheed L1011, etc. By the time the newer generations of aircraft came into being, Dry nitrogen in the tires was a part of the certification requirements, and specified in the maintenance manuals from the very beginning. Its part of the culture now.

But Nitrogen does expand when hot. Airliners I saw that had landed an hour or so earlier and then were brought to the hangar had tire pressures of say 240 psi on a 767 vs about 200 when cold. The exact pressures escape me now as it has been over three years and the airline was constantly tweaking the pressure requirements, to the point it was stupid.

Charles

The tires were OEM and were over 4 years old. Westlake Tires.

Westlake tires are made by Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Company. This is the company responsible for the "china bomb" moniker used for chinese tires. They've had a bad reputation for a long time.

Here is a link to a law firm involved in a lawsuit dealing with the "china bombs" from Westlake.

Here is what they say about the RVs involved.

1678069387572.png1678069451487.png

Last edited:
Last fall I replaced the 5 year old tires on my TT. When I pulled the spare off of the carrier, I found that it had a huge bubble on the bottom of the tire. I had checked tire pressure before every trip but never pulled the spare to inspect it. It never touched the road and it was ready to blow out. These were the original tires on my 4 year old TT. I had Goodyearf Endurance tires installed.

...This resulted in an FAA Airworthiness Directive on certain transport category aircraft to have placards installed (and maintenance manual revisions) to require that the wheels be inflated with dry nitrogen only. These were aircraft such as the Boeing 727, Lockheed L1011, etc. By the time the newer generations of aircraft came into being, Dry nitrogen in the tires was a part of the certification requirements, and specified in the maintenance manuals from the very beginning. Its part of the culture now.
Fine. The next time I have a GCW of 200,000 pounds that I expect to be driving at 150 mph, I'll make sure the tires are filled with nitrogen. ;)

Most RV trailer tires are sized to be barely adequate for the trailer GVWR, which means that every moment of their lives is spent at its maximum stress point. Whether rolling or siting. It should not be too suprising that RV trailer tires typically have relatively short life spans in terms of calendar time.

Most RV trailer tires are sized to be barely adequate for the trailer GVWR, which means that every moment of their lives is spent at its maximum stress point. Whether rolling or siting. It should not be too suprising that RV trailer tires typically have relatively short life spans in terms of calendar time.
I have always wondered about this. We have not reached our trailers max tow capacity in the 4 years we've owned it. After doing the math on the tires weight capacity, axle capacity, and knowing tongue weight is put on the truck, it still made me wonder why other tires with higher capacity aren't used?

I have always wondered about this. We have not reached our trailers max tow capacity in the 4 years we've owned it. After doing the math on the tires weight capacity, axle capacity, and knowing tongue weight is put on the truck, it still made me wonder why other tires with higher capacity aren't used?
pp29_post.jpg

Yeap, the Benjamins. RVs are expensive, and RV-buyers very price conscious, so manufacturers economize everywhere they can to keep the total down, or at least apply the extra $ to an extra amenity. To most buyers, a tire is just a round black thing and not a feature. That mentality is often pervasive, resulting in occasional dumb cost shortcuts even in luxury-class models.

By moving up to the next load range would solve that, right?

There's not whole lot of higher load range trailer tire sizes beyond E. Going to cost much more to go to a Load Range G for example and they would still be filled to the PSI as per the placard for the Load Range E. At the same air pressure a Load Range G has the same load carrying capacity as the Load Range E (in the same size). The Load Range G can hold more air pressure though. At the maximum air pressure its load carrying capacity is greater than an E.

On our TV I upsized from a Load Range D to a Load Range E tire. The maximum PSI of both tires are the same and the carrying capacity in pounds are identical. Was 285 70R17 Load Range D. Is 35 12.50R17 Load Range E.

Last edited:
By moving up to the next load range would solve that, right?
If available, yes. But often a larger size is needed to get additional load capacity. For example, the trailer maker may have skimped by using 15" wheels where 16" is a better design choice, or may have chosen a narrow tire that is already at its max load range value.

If available, yes. But often a larger size is needed to get additional load capacity. For example, the trailer maker may have skimped by using 15" wheels where 16" is a better design choice, or may have chosen a narrow tire that is already at its max load range value.
Also, don't forget to check your rims. They have pressure limits. No good putting a tire that you can run higher pressure with on a rim that won't take it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom