Tire Pressure Monitor Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrogern

Does anyone have a suggestion on Make/Model of a reliable Tire Pressure Monitor.  I spoke with the Parts people at the dealership and they did not have a recommendation, but thought that the Tireminder models were overrated.  Somewhat confused because everything I read online everyone seems to like the Tireminder.  Any real world suggestions?

X3 on TST I have the non flow through. I don't have a toad so I have no experience with a repeater. I have had the system 2 and 1/2 years without issue. It gives you great peace of mind. I turn it on and check the pressures every morning. I have a calibrated gauge and the sensors are all within a pound of the gauge.

I'll add to Dave's post that I do have sensors on our toad and recently added a repeater since the rear two sensors would occasionally drop out. I'm guessing the drop outs may be from interference of some sort, since we didn't have the problem towing the same toad with our previous coach that was only foot shorter than this one. The repeater seems to have cured the problem though.

Thanks to all the suggestions, I will look into the TST and EZ systems, appreciate the feedback

We decided to go with the Dill system because their unit is mounted inside the tire and apparently are used by many over-the-road truckers.  I like the idea that there is no sender mounted on the end of valve stems that might get caught on brush or whatever.  They also monitore temperature from inside the tire and by design are a flow-through system.  The one downside is there is an extra cost for installation because the tire needs to removed.  I figured it was a good opportunity to have the tires balanced at the same time.  They are available online from TireRack.com

Having used PressurePro for a number of years, I decided to switch to EezRV for their newer technology display and replaceable batteries. Spending $39/sensor (10 total) when batteries run down was not something I wished to continue. Installed sensors and monitor on the coach this afternoon, toad will follow. Will report back on our upcoming trip.

Tom said:
I decided to switch to EezRV for their newer technology display and replaceable batteries.

I think you'll like it Tom. Did you put the booster in?

I installed the EEZRV several months ago.  It's our third system and is by far the best.  I can't imagine an RV being long enough to need a booster.  I was getting a signal from our towed from the other side of the parking lot.  Probably about 100 feet away.  I've never had a signal loss or a false alert.

Did you put the booster in?

No I didn't. I figured I'd wait until the first leg of our upcoming trip and see if I get any dropouts.

I can't imagine an RV being long enough to need a booster.  I was getting a signal from our towed from the other side of the parking lot.  Probably about 100 feet away.

I don't think distance or 'length' is the only issue in whether a repeater/booster is needed. (Electrical) 'noise' and physical structures in the engine compartment/rear of the coach could contribute to loss of signal from toad sensors.

Tom said:
I don't think distance or 'length' is the only issue in whether a repeater/booster is needed. (Electrical) 'noise' and physical structures in the engine compartment/rear of the coach could contribute to loss of signal from toad sensors.

Exactly... Our current coach has significantly more wireless equipment on board than our previous coach had. Between the WiFi router/repeater, a cell signal booster amplifier, various Bluetooth connections, etc, I wasn't surprised that the TPMS was impacted and needed the repeater. When stationary with the other equipment turned off, the TPMS signals were fine without the repeater, accurately reading the toad sensors a significant distance away from the coach. A friend of ours added a repeater to his 30' Class C when he found he was losing a toad rear wheel sensor when the driver side slide was retracted.

This is our first trip with the TST 507 TPMS  system. Works pretty well...although not perfectly. I think I'm going to bave to add a repeater...tires on the toad keep dropping. <beep>
Also, yesterday, in the middle of a West Yellowstone snowstorm, one sensor went off...and showed 1 lb. for that tire. :eek: Stopped...got the tire thumper...nope...good pressure. Removed and reinstalled the sensor...90 lbs.  :mad:

Otherwise, IMO, it's relatively cheap peace of mind...and the only way to really KNOW what's going on with your toad tires. (or coach tires for that matter)

another thumbs up for TST.... good customer service

my thoughts, after having had it for about  a year now

I went with the flow through sensors.
If I had it to do over again i would go for the cap type.

I have had problems with one sensor in particular, it seems to be related to a weird extender.... it's a long story, but it's too complicated and not clear cut enough to just simply replace the one extender
but the issue seems mostly to do with the flo-through feature, which I have found I don't really need anyway.

Also
Batteries on the 507 model are user replaceable, and are supposed to last I think it was 10-12 months or so
I left mine in place, even though I park it for a few weeks or more between trips.  batteries drained a little prematurely
BUt
I found that in some cases it was due to leaking/bad batteries out of the box, and in others it was a bad o-ring.

My thoughts
  If I were inclined to use the MH often, I might consider going with the factory replaceable sensors that have a multi-year life so I just don't have to worry with it.
  Otherwise, I wish that I would have gone with the cap type 507 sensors (non-flow-through) and just plan to take them off the stems when i park for a week or more.... (saves battery life supposedly)

Engineers!  Good grief Charley Brown.  ;) ;) ;)

OK, I'll be a little more objective and precise.

We had a TST we used on a 32" fifth wheel towed by a crew cab long bed F250.  It lost signal often enough that I was shopping for a booster when we decided to get a new RV.  It reported false alarms several times and often reported wrong tire pressures.  Walking the receiver away from the rig it would lose signal completely at less than 50 feet of nothing but air.  It was also more difficult to program and occasionaly forgot it's programming.

The new RV came with a SmarTire system.  This one had two external antennas and a booster.  It only covered the 6 coach tires.  It was a complete waste of time.  Senders would drop out more or less randomly and it reported false alarms often enough that we could not trust it.  SmarTire is no longer selling systems for RVs, a good thing IMHO.

The EEZRV system was easy to program and did not require that the senders be mounted on the tire for programming: Press a couple of buttons, hold the sender to the receiver until the sender id shows up in the display, assign that sender to a tire position and slap a label on it.  It's been perfect since the day I installed it.  One thing I really like is how easy it is to link & un-link the towed vehicle.

I believe our coach has the usual construction: big cast iron rumbly thing in back, frame & walls etc between the towed and the receiver.  It is not made out of air.  The EEZRV has never had a dropout.  If I remember correctly when I saw I was getting signal from the towed across the parking lot the signals were coming all the way through the rear of the coach to the receiver in the front.  That impressed me because our previous systems were so poor.  We travel with the usual array of electronic and wireless devices.  Probably more than most.  Wifi, cellular, Bluetooth, NFC and so on.

Reading the reviews about EEZRV on Amazon I saw that very few people had to buy boosters and several who assumed they'd need one didn't.  My advice is to try it without one first.

Back
Top Bottom