Tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) - tips, questions and recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony_Alberta

So I've read lots of threads about TPMSs.  In particular I liked the posting querying why the TPMS didn't update itself immediately on startup.  That series of postings answered a lot of questions I'm sure I would've had.    ;)    I did not realize until I was poking about that they screw on to existing valve stems.  For some reason I thought you had to have the tire shop install them and then balance the tires.

One tip I read was to ensure they didn't stick out past the wheel in case you hit a curb or similar. 

I like the ones where I can replace the battery myself compared to forking over $30 or $40 for each new one in 5 ot 6 years.  Or am I mistaken?

Seems to me that, given that they are screw on to the valve stem anyhow, the flow through ones are really another point of failure.  You shouldn't really need to be adding air but once or twice a year.  For that effort I can unscrew the TPMS device.  There was also a comment somewhere stating that the flow through were longer and thus, in some cases, could stick out past the wheel.

Also seems to me that having one or two spare would be a good thing.  Just in case.  But then I'm a paranoid pessimist

Put on the sensors while in town for a few weeks before going on a trip just to test things and have stuff fixed locally.

I've read good comments about the following with very few, if any, negative comments about any of them.
Pressure Pro -  Seems to be the long time favourite
Tire Minder
Truck Systems aka TST
TireTraker
EEZTire

Any other comments or suggestions?

I just installed the TST 507 system. I had to turn the outer stems to accommodate the sensors, had to extend the inner stems and had to extend the front stems. Had to order extensions as all I could fine at local auto parts stores was only rated for 65PSI. Next time I change tires I will order correct length stems before. I went with non-flowthrough, less chance of leakage. Batteries are replaceable.
They do take several minutes to begin reading all sensors, just turn it on a few minutes before ready to move.
Waiting a couple of more weeks before first trip with them installed.

I've been running TST for a couple of years now, with good results. The reason it takes a bit for the monitor to have all tires read is that the sensors only transmit every few minutes (five, I think, for TST) unless they have a problem, so it can be 10 minutes or so to get them all read.

Tony_Alberta said:
I like the ones where I can replace the battery myself compared to forking over $30 or $40 for each new one in 5 ot 6 years.  Or am I mistaken?

We had our PressurePros for about 10 years, The sensor life was about 6-8 years. How much would replaceable batteries cost over that time. The reason PPs are factory sealed is that there is one less avenue for leaks and improper replacement. Also, when you need new batteries, your $30 gets you a whole new sensor.

"Also seems to me that having one or two spare would be a good thing.  Just in case.  But then I'm a paranoid pessimist"

Save your money for when you buy the battery replacement units; it costs you less money. We had no failures that didn't have a replacement unit on hand within a couple of days.

Passenger car TPMS from the factory are usually installed inside the tires and have batteries that last 7-10 years. Aftermarket TPMS sensors generally are installed on the valve stems and aren't heavy enough (usually under 1 oz) to affect a large tire. There may be some slight effect on a car-size tire, but you probably won't notice it.

Replaceable batteries has proven to be a non-issue. Generally, the non-replaceable ones last a few years longer but they cost more, so it's more-or-less a wash. Do what ever you think is best.

If your tires leak air enough to make flow-through sensors a good idea, you have tire/wheel/valve problems that you need to fix. If everything is working right, you probably add air a couple times a year.

Carrying a spare is of little value either. If you needed a replacement you can get it in a couple days.

I have the TST 507 flow-throughs. After much headache and some expense on trying to figure out why three of my tires have very slow leaks, my shop showed me where the air was leaking through the sensors - bubbling was found both at the stem AND through the sensor casing. Any ideas on repair / recourse? These are less than a year old.

Our traveling companions and us both have the TireMinder systems. We run them on the rear tires of the truck and all 4 trailer tires. Mine warned of an acute loss of air once which caused me to immediately pull over only to find everything was okay. Of course I would rather that than my buddy's experiences. He's had 2 flats with no warning. One more of a blowout that caused major damage to the trailer. So, basically, I have them but I think they give me a rather false sense of security. I look at the read outs regularly while I'm driving but I also manually check my tire pressure regularly so I think I would find a slow leak fairly quickly. I was hoping these were better at those catastrophic events.

BernieD said:
We had our PressurePros for about 10 years, The sensor life was about 6-8 years. How much would replaceable batteries cost over that time. The reason PPs are factory sealed is that there is one less avenue for leaks and improper replacement. Also, when you need new batteries, your $30 gets you a whole new sensor.

Save your money for when you buy the battery replacement units; it costs you less money. We had no failures that didn't have a replacement unit on hand within a couple of days.
The TST 507 sensor batteries (CR1632's) are available in almost any hardware, grocery, drug store, or Walmart for a buck or so each. Replacing the batteries in my ten sensors annually is whole lot less expensive than the $20 each TST gets for the 510 sensors with the 5-7 year battery life. TST also supplies extra seals and screws with each new unit to use when replacing batteries if needed.

NY_Dutch said:
The TST 507 sensor batteries (CR1632's) are available in almost any hardware, grocery, drug store, or Walmart for a buck or so each. Replacing the batteries in my ten sensors annually is whole lot less expensive than the $20 each TST gets for the 510 sensors with the 5-7 year battery life. TST also supplies extra seals and screws with each new unit to use when replacing batteries if needed.
Exactly.  As soon as the first one requires a new battery then buy a pack of 10 or so of the CR1632s.    So if it's a year between battery changes I'm thinking $5 over five years is cheaper than $30 or $40 or whatever for the others every five years.

Sure be nice if there was some way of charging a battery using the centrifugal force as the tire spins.  I've often thought that you could run  very small charging turbine using the water as it flows through those automatic hand sensing water faucets or toilets.

Yep, I agree a self-charging system of some sort would be a nice addition, Tony. Maybe when solar cells get a bit more efficient, the small amount of real estate on a sensor head will be enough for a cell to keep the battery charged.

I'm looking at the tire tracker from Lawrence RV- I like the 3 year warranty, read great reviews on them. will order about 2 weeks before our first trip.

I purchased the Dorian unit for my LT Serenity.  It's a diesel sprinter with 6 wheels.  Bought it in January before a big trip to the Pacific Northwest.  It worked great.  It certainly gives you great peace of mind to know that you can easily check all 6 wheels while driving down the road.
Interesting that on my 5400 mile, 11 state trip, I didn't have to fill the tires at all and they maintained their pressure.  But when the unit sits for a few weeks, it loses pressure.  But not driving. Hmm.
Oh well, it is nice to know when driving.

Back
Top Bottom