Tire Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopdickson

I have a 2000 HR Endeavor motorhome with just over 25K miles on it.  Within the past 1 1/2 years I have had both steering tires (Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5) blow a hole in the inside sidewall when driving.  For the record, I maintain proper inflation when on the road, keep the weight on the front and rear axles below the manufacturer's listed chassis specs and I cover the tires when exposed for any length of time to the weather.

Are these blowouts a fluke or is there a problem with these tires?  Did Michelin manufacture some bad tires in 2000?  I am now hesitant to go on the road with the remaining 4 Michelin tires and am looking to buy a new set.  I would appreciate any recommendations on what to buy.  Thanks,  hopdickson

You see a lot of noise on the net about "bad" Michelin RV tires, but so many motorhomes have Michelins that ANY tire failure story is likely to involve a Michelin. And nobody ever admits having underinflated or abused tires. I've seen no statistical evidence that Michelins are prone to failure - or that they are better than any other brand either.

Your tires are nearing their normal end of life, so I suspect they are just dying of old age. Some die sooner than others, but 7 years is about the maximum life, regardless of mileage. The chemicals that keep the ruber flexible dry out and the treads begin to separate, especially under summer heat conditions (roads get extrememly hot in the sun!).  Check the tire manufacture date on the sidewall and I suspect you will find they were made in late 1999 or very early 2000. If so, you are into your 7th year of use and the failures you have experienced should be expected. Even if they are mid-to-late 2000 vintage, they are still a full six years old and are due for replacement anyway.

Back
Top Bottom