Tires continuously going out of balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workingtorv

On the motorhome the tires will not hold a balance. Tires are 4 years old but will not stay balanced.

Has anyone ever put beads in for balancing?  Is there a reason not to?

TIA

I use beads and am happy with the results.  What I use, and they can be DIY install.
Before you do that, place a chaulk mark on the tires, in line with the valve stems.  Drive the MH and see if the marks move around the rim.  Possibly the dude that mounted them used an improper lube on the beads.

Beads are the way to go.  Have used them on the last 2 sets of tires.  When you can find a smooth piece of highway, smooth as can be!
There are two types of beads, one requires a filter on the valve stem.  I believe Dyna Beads do not ... someone correct me if I have it wrong.  It's been a while, but without digging into some records somewhere I'm pretty sure it is Dyna Beads that I have installed.

Howard

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

I'm a fan of  bead balancing, but would be concerned about the "why" if weight balancing doesn't hold well. That would indicate to me that something is wrong, but I wouldn't try to guess without knowing more about the symptoms.

In any case, beads have the advantage of being self-adjusting, so they keep a tire in balance as it wears.  That sounds like a benefit for you.  However, they also have some limitations as to just how much "out of balance" they can cope with.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'm a fan of  bead balancing, but would be concerned about the "why" if weight balancing doesn't hold well. That would indicate to me that something is wrong, but I wouldn't try to guess without knowing more about the symptoms.

X2 I agree there is somthing wrong with the tires.  If only one tire is involved I would suspect a broken belt if it is a radial tire.

workingtorv said:
On the motorhome the tires will not hold a balance. Tires are 4 years old but will not stay balanced.

TIA

How often have you needed to balance them?

Howard R said:
Beads are the way to go.  Have used them on the last 2 sets of tires.  When you can find a smooth piece of highway, smooth as can be!
There are two types of beads, one requires a filter on the valve stem.  I believe Dyna Beads do not ... someone correct me if I have it wrong.  It's been a while, but without digging into some records somewhere I'm pretty sure it is Dyna Beads that I have installed.

Howard

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Dyna Beads do require using filtered valve stems. Check the last step on the applicator instructions:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/service.htm

There are two types of beads, one requires a filter on the valve stem.  I believe Dyna Beads do not .
Dyna Beads do require using filtered valve stems. Check the last step on the applicator instructions:

You are both right.  There are two sizes of Dynabeads, a large diameter for big rig tires and a standard diameter for smaller tires. If inserting the beads through the valve stem, you MUST use the smaller diameter beads, but they require the filtered valve.  The large diameter beads are too wide to go up the valve stem from the inside, so no need for the filter. Obviously, they can only be installed by the bag-in-the-tire method.

workingtorv said:
TIA
workingtorv
I've been using a set of Centramatic Balancers since '02: http://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml
(Currently they're on the 4th set of motorhome tires).

mel s said:
workingtorv
I've been using a set of Centramatic Balancers since '02: http://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml
(Currently they're on the 4th set of motorhome tires).

Thanks we will look into these.  Great info

If you put the beads or centramatics in/on, the problem will still be there. Find the problem and fix it first, then balance the wheels/tires. The beads and the centramatics will just cover-up the real problem. It may be something that you need to get fixed to prevent an accident.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Great advice from Indiana Journey.  Tires simply do not just "go out of balance", so something is wrong.

That was kinda where I was going with my question.
In three years, my tires have not "gone out of balance" (well, except for the one that I bounced a curb with. )

Flat spots on tires came up on another thread. I've had flat spots before and it does feel like the tires are out of balance.

phil-t said:
I use beads and am happy with the results.  What I use, and they can be DIY install.
Before you do that, place a chaulk mark on the tires, in line with the valve stems.  Drive the MH and see if the marks move around the rim.  Possibly the dude that mounted them used an improper lube on the beads.
Do not overlook this comment!  It is very possible for tires to turn on the rims if not properly seated on the rim or if incorrect lube was used to install the tires!  This could be the issue, and determining if it is costs nothing.  Excellent first check!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am312
Back
Top Bottom