Tires, TPMS, blowouts, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use TST 507’s on my RV and Toad. The monitor allows you to set limits for PSI and Temp.
My RV tires are 82 PSI cold and usually at 60 mph, they’re in the low to mid 90 psi, temps vary on ambient conditions, generally also in the 90F but the passenger rear duallies run hot 104F on a 80 degree day. I swapped sensors thinking it may be bad and then they still showed hot. I realized that the exhaust is directly in front of those tires causing those hot readings.
N.B. My mechanic checked my brakes just in case they were an issue and all was good.

Well that is not encouraging. I think my first step is to go get weighed and make sure I am not overloaded. Then look into a TPS system. We travel pretty light so that may help.

What is it that made that model TST TPMS so popular here compared to the countless others at less than half the cost with all the same features (AFAIK)?

-Don- Auburn, CA
I don't know, but I got mine before the plethora of different brands showed up- though TST wasn't the only one, there weren't many. And unlike Pressure Pro, you could replace batteries without replacing the sensors and it also reads temps, which I think Pressure Pro didn't.

My info may be a little off on P P, but the above is what my memory tells me of my thoughts at the time.

I don't know, but I got mine before the plethora of different brands showed up- though TST wasn't the only one, there weren't many. And unlike Pressure Pro, you could replace batteries without replacing the sensors and it also reads temps, which I think Pressure Pro didn't.

My info may be a little off on P P, but the above is what my memory tells me of my thoughts at the time.
My cheap RV TPMS units do all of that and more. Such as show the PSI before you drive. And to be able to add air without removing the sensor.

Pressure Pro is an old design, and I don't think they have done much to improve. But they never shut off, always sending the same signal from the sensor regardless of wheel speed. Better ones (IMO) send out the update PSI once per hour or so when NOT moving and every few minutes when moving (big changes are always instant on any of them).

The old pressure pro method drains the sensor batteries down faster (unless removed from the wheels). And they need to be sent back to the factory for battery replacements, ten bucks cheaper than a new $50.00 sensor, the last time I checked.

All the other newer external TPMS sensors I have seen since have easy to replace batteries. I own several makes as all 11 of my motorcycles as well as both my RVs have a TPMS.

One of the TPMS I like best are built into the Garmin GPS motorcycle GPS units, such as the Garmin 395LM. But on the downside, if the bike wheels have not moved for a while, I have to wake up the sensor by tapping it to get a reading when the bike is parked.

For my RVs, I want to be able to see the tire PSI before I move it. An hour old reading is fine. Some will show the last reading even if it were from two years ago when the vehicle was moved last. Don't want that.

-Don- Auburn, CA

My cheap RV TPMS units do all of that and more. Such as show the PSI before you drive. And to be able to add air without removing the sensor.

Pressure Pro is an old design, and I don't think they have done much to improve. But they never shut off, always sending the same signal from the sensor regardless of wheel speed. Better ones (IMO) send out the update PSI once per hour or so when NOT moving and every few minutes when moving (big changes are always instant on any of them).
You asked:
What is it that made that model TST TPMS so popular here compared to the countless others at less than half the cost with all the same features (AFAIK)?
So I repeat: Most of those others weren't available many years ago when I got mine, and I'm sure that's true of many other folks -- it's hard to buy something that doesn't exist. Note that TST support is excellent, too.

Incidentally, not everyone shops for price first...

Pressure Pro dropped out of the RV TPMS market a few years back - they focus on professional fleet devices nowadays. You can use them on an RV if you like, of course, but they are overkill for that. They were the first to make TPMS tailored for RVs and at one time they were the top of the line for that, but eventually the competition overtook them, matching quality and beating them on price.

The initial models from Tire Minder, TST and others were rather mediocre in quality but the companies made continual improvements in quality as well as offering extra features and better pricing. Classic competition at work, benefiting the consumer with superior products.

Internet meme had a lot to do with the popularity of TST and others. They convinced the RV community that replaceable batteries and temperature warnings were critically important features and it soon became de rigueur to damn Pressure Pro for lacking those.

Incidentally, not everyone shops for price first...
I shop for the features and quality myself. But before owning, sometimes it is difficult to know about either.

But the price of the TST is more than double the other units even today. I was wondering why it still has the higher price tag.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Pressure Pro dropped out of the RV TPMS market a few years back
OIC. I used to own one for my RV. My very first TPMS. I also had a couple of the Pressure Pro motorcycle versions. In fact, my Moto-Guzzi still has it installed as the GPS I have on that bike is not the one with the built in TPMS.

But as soon as those sensor batteries crap out, I will upgrade it. I had several spare new PP wheel sensors for years, but I think I am now out of them.

-Don- Auburn, CA

-Don- Auburn, CA
For me,

Features and fit for the application.
Reputation and reviews.
Quality
Comments here and other places by RV users

Features and fit includes that it is intended for use with a travel trailer where the rear-most sensor will be ~30-40' from the display with multiple aluminum or steel barriers for the signal to pass through. Bluetooth LE has well known issues with signal loss from such, especially when the designer has to reach a compromise between signal strength and battery life. So a repeater was a must as well as a reputation for reliable signals.

Overall reliability and quality is a must. Too many of the cheap TMPS reviewers report false alarms, dropped out communication, dim unusable display, etc.

Also, my natural skepticism - Too cheap means, to me, it will be a cheaply made device with too many shortcuts. And, I'm not willing to experiment to find out if that is true.

Added gimmicks are also a negative to me... such as solar charging... really? A USB cable is too much trouble? Spend the development and product cost money on making the product better rather than adding semi-useless gimmicks.

Bottom line: the difference in price is either too great for the cheap product to be credible or not great enough where price will be a deciding factor, given that we're only talking about a few hundred bucks in any case. I wanted a product that would work reliably, not one where I am "testing" it to find out.

From 75 psi cold, mid 80s hot isn’t unreasonable, near 100 is not, IMO. Sunny side of coach on a sunny day will be higher than shaded side on the outside dually.
I’ve been told you should replace duals in matched pairs when one needs replaced (and ideally, whole axles replaced together).
I don't personally have much experience running anything commercial over the road but my friend would go on about measuring the trailer tires twin axle duals to make sure the difference in diameter was as little as it could be. So the Eight tires would be matched into pairs depending on diameter. the logic being if you have different diameters on one axle then one of them has to be slipping. I'm sure all this was pre TPMS. I have heard on multiple occasions that driven axles should have matched tires on though, the diff's aren't designed to be working constantly at high speed and load. I honestly don't know what I'm talking about, possibly just regurgitating nonsense... But I trust the source enough that i will be following the advice. I'll go back to work now. :)
Regards Steven

Features and fit includes that it is intended for use with a travel trailer where the rear-most sensor will be ~30-40' from the display with multiple aluminum or steel barriers for the signal to pass through.
Well, that makes sense, but wouldn't apply to me because I do not tow anything. All six wheel are quite close to me.

The only false alarm I ever had with any TPMS was the one where I got the false high temp alarm in my Y2K RV just last Thursday (message 128 in this thread). Took a reboot of the display to put it back to normal.

-Don- Wasco, CA WalMart* (for the night).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom