Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milo1

Hello, Just bought a 2014 Keystone Cougar 277RLS and need to get new tires. We will be traveling from southern Cal up to Oregon and then across the country to Hot Springs Ar and will take a month or more to get there. After that it will become a weekend or week long trailer several times a year. We may boondock a bit but mostly stay in RV parks. We had a Jayco Pinnacle in 2011 and traveled for a year, but have not RV'd since then. Appreciate any input as have never had to buy tires before for an RV. Thank you.

Buy the Goodyears with the best speed rating, Endurance I believe. Get the right ply tires based on the fully (meaning all your gear) loaded weight of your 5er.

Continental makes a tire that everyone on the drv website apparently says is way better than the goodyear i have no first hand experience with them

What size are you looking at? 15 inch wheels or 16 inch?

15 inch. Currently has Tire King ST225/75R15 with decent tread but they are original and 8 years old with no tire covers. So I fear UV deterioration. Thanks for your responses.

Their are currently 4 different tires being recommended by people pulling trailers. They are, in no particular order; Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle Radial Trail HD. Maxxis 8008 and the newest is the Hankook Vantra. I do know that the Carlisle is the least expensive at usually under $100 with the other 3 being in the $120+ range. With some searching, I am sure you can find a price to fit your budget and concerns.

All of these tires get good reviews on the web with the GY's probably being the most sought after and most purchased, but based on reviews I have read I would not hesitate to purchase any of the four.

My only suggestion would be to go up 1 load range on which ever tire you purchase as long as you have the clearance to do so. I was able to go up to LRD with no ill effects.

The Continental’s previously talked about on the DRV and on my 5th wheel where 17.5”.

I’m not certain if 15” or 16” Continental’s wer3 recently discussed. But, I’ll bet they would be good tires....if they even make an rv tire! memtb

I'll leave the tires to the other....In fact I will be needing to replace mine soon, So I'll be following the suggestions.

On a side note.... Welcome to the RV Forum and to Arkansas. We are about 90 Minutes from Hot Springs. But it's been some 20 years+ since I've been there.

Goodyear only makes the ST225/75R15 in one load range, which is E, which is a max load of 2830 lbs. Your trailer appears to have a 10,330 GVWR and using a 20% pin weight that makes the weight on the axles 8,264 max, thus 2066 per tire. This gives you a pretty good margin of over 700 lbs per tire.

2014 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 277RLSWE specs and literature guide

Goodyear RV Tires – Tire Selector

Should you seriously want MORE tire, the Transeagle 225/75R15 is available in a load range F (3195 lbs) and load range G (3520 lbs) which is a serious tire. The tire is also available in load range D and E, with the E being available blackwall and raised white letter) No one seems to be complaining about them on the forums, so they may not be too bad. TRANSAMERICA TIRE CO.,LTD

Big Truck Big RV did a video on them

I have a set of the GY Endurance 225/75R15 LRE and am quite happy with them. They are very over capacity for my 7000 lb GVWR trailer but that is good. They balanced with not a lot of weight, one took a bunch and I complained and the manager of Discount Tire, upon close inspection found a defect in the sidewall and ordered in another new one. I also run Centramatics and the trailer is so smooth that on a good highway, you cannot even feel it back there.

Pappi mentioned the Hankook Vantra tires (think Caravan, the British and Aussie term for a travel trailer) I was not aware of these but Hankook makes good tires. They are supplying many tires to Ford for their trucks and they perform well. The Hankook ST225/75R15 is also only available in Load Range E.

https://m.hankooktire.com/content/d.../tire-leaflet/Vantra_Trailer_ST01_Leaflet.pdf

Charles

Last edited:
""Currently has Tire King ST225/75R15 with decent tread but they are original and 8 years old with no tire covers. So I fear UV deterioration. Thanks for your responses.""

Yeah..... the time has came for replacing a 8 year old ST tire when planning on a long road trip.
I frequent several different websites where trailers of all type (rv and non rv) with 3500 lb axles/14" tires on up to 8000 lb axles and 16"/17.5" tires are used for road work and play.

For ST225/75-15 load D or E the Providers are the go to tire on road work trailer websites.

RV websites have two new favorites with the Carlisle HD and Endurance in the OP size. Which brand is the most popular depends on the website.

The Providers first came out in the '10 era and are one of the first higher speed rated ST tires. Higher speed ratings are more about the tires ability to deal with generated heat carrying loads at highway speeds.

For rvers who make 8-10k miles a year in traveling around the country the Providers have a 11-12/32nds of tread depth depending on tire sizes.
8/32nds for the Endurance
9/32nds for Carlisle HD.

The OP doesn't travel far so I would recommend any of those three ST tire brands for his size trailer.

The Goodyear Endurance has a fairly good track record. Most RV dealers will recommend these. After checking with a number of tire stores in our area, these tires were not available. After a few minutes of searching both the Walmart online service and Amazon had these available with free delivery. Just saying.....

another thing to consider, that I was not aware of until I upgraded my tires from D to E, the wheels have to be rated for the higher pressure. Mine D wheels were not rated for the pressure of an E tire so had to get new wheels as well

Endurance tires have not been available this winter, but are just now back in stock most places. GY said they switched production to more needed tires, those used on emergency vehicles, and have just in the past few weeks switched back to Endurance production.

Charles

Is anyone running the transeagle F rating on a fifth wheel, and what's your thoughts? We need to replace our Westlakes real soon

Back
Top Bottom