To heat or not heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShotgunMiss

I winterized my 5th wheel but I’m wondering if I should also keep some heat inside it? It’s stored in a non heated shop, but the outside temperature is 9 degrees right now. I’m more worried about a fire than keeping the inside warm. What do you folks do?

After winterizing I've let my RVs (several over many years) sit through the winter, even below zero, without the heat on. Of course this presumes that food, toiletries and other things potentially damaged by extreme cold have been removed, but the RVs (1 TT, 3 different motorhomes) have been fine.

I don't heat my car after I make sure the antifreeze is in it.

If the unit is winterized, well... then it's ready for the winter.

I don't heat my car after I make sure the antifreeze is in it.

If the unit is winterized, well... then it's ready for the winter.
I winterized my 5th wheel but I’m wondering if I should also keep some heat inside it? It’s stored in a non heated shop, but the outside temperature is 9 degrees right now. I’m more worried about a fire than keeping the inside warm. What do you folks do?
If you winterized it properly, you should be ok. You might want think about putting a moisture absorbent, like DampRid, in the unit and checking it once in awhile. Helps keep mold and mildew from forming.

It’s not really necessary, but if you have the option, I think it’s better for it. Unlike a car, a coach has a lot of different materials, that shrink and expand with temp changes, and can work screws or fittings lose, etc. . We don't Bother with it unless it’s getting very cold. We probably Will this week, due to the near 0 temps here, but if we couldn’t for some reason, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Keeping the heat on low, may cause condensation to form around windows and inside cabinets. Warm air next to a cold surface creates moisture.
My TT is winterized and I keep a few containers of Damp Rid throughout the inside. I also keep on roof vent open slightly. I have a cover on my vent to prevent rain from coming in.

Just winterize it correctly, park it and forget about it until spring. I remove my tv, all food and toiletries. If you don’t do winterizing correctly, you will find out on the next camping trip when hoses break. Never had a problem leaving mine in the cold Minnesota winter.

Thank you everyone for your input. I’m pretty sure I have winterized it correctly. I went over it for 3 nights in my sleep before I did it! Read and reread the book. Watched countless you tube videos and finally did it. Next year will be easier. I did put Damp Rid inside but will keep the portable heater out.
Will Spring ever get here!

Only one year did I pay the price for not keeping my travel trailer going with some heat. When we were notified by the "city" we had to move our travel trailer because we were in violation of city zoning, we ended up taking it about 70 miles to my wife's parents farm and left it there .... UNTIL we sold the house and moved to a different county completely. (yes, we were THAT pi$$ed!)

Meanwhile, that winter outside temps (without the wind) dropped to -22 (F). The trailer was winterized well. But 2 things happened. The extreme cold cracked the vinal shower surround and the extreme cold cracked the linoleum floor.

Had the camper been at our house, I would have kept an electric heater going inside the camper over those extreme cold days and nights. But parked so far way, and being on someone else's property, I did not want to use their electricity. (long story ... my wife's mother *is* a poop-head! It's amazing she let us park the camper there. Her husband --- not my wife's father --- argued the case for us and let us park it there).

That was the coldest winter we experienced with any of our campers. No other time did we have any issues with anything, even in other years when it got to 10 below. But at 22 below, I guess that was just too much for the poor camper!

Only one year did I pay the price for not keeping my travel trailer going with some heat. When we were notified by the "city" we had to move our travel trailer because we were in violation of city zoning, we ended up taking it about 70 miles to my wife's parents farm and left it there .... UNTIL we sold the house and moved to a different county completely. (yes, we were THAT pi$$ed!)

Meanwhile, that winter outside temps (without the wind) dropped to -22 (F). The trailer was winterized well. But 2 things happened. The extreme cold cracked the vinal shower surround and the extreme cold cracked the linoleum floor.

Had the camper been at our house, I would have kept an electric heater going inside the camper over those extreme cold days and nights. But parked so far way, and being on someone else's property, I did not want to use their electricity. (long story ... my wife's mother *is* a poop-head! It's amazing she let us park the camper there. Her husband --- not my wife's father --- argued the case for us and let us park it there).

That was the coldest winter we experienced with any of our campers. No other time did we have any issues with anything, even in other years when it got to 10 below. But at 22 below, I guess that was just too much for the poor camper!
Sorry to hear that. Once in a lifetime issue I hope. The coldest it’s been here has been 5 degrees but it is also stored in a unheated shop.

Just winterize it correctly, park it and forget about it until spring. I remove my tv, all food and toiletries. If you don’t do winterizing correctly, you will find out on the next camping trip when hoses break. Never had a problem leaving mine in the cold Minnesota winter.
Forgot to mention. I always leave all faucets open. I just blow all my lines out 3 times. Then leave faucets open. I do put rv antifreeze in the sinks and shower.

Back
Top Bottom