to toad or not to toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glen

(sorry if this is redundant, but couldn't find applicable info)  Here's the scenario: as active old-timers we bought a new, small motorhome (Forest River Class B Lexington 210) last year and have logged 10K miles at nearly 13 mpg (good for us with these gas prices.).  we travel from the NW to the SE every year (8K round trip).  this time we're considering towing our Tracker (2900#) wheels down.  two questions: 1) how many mpg will we lose with a canoe atop the toad? and 2) can we do this safely without auxiliary brakes?  (we're under weight limits and keep it at 60 mph but do not want to compromise safety.).  thanks for any advice.

First, the aux brakes question..... I am a very strong believer in ALL WHEEL BRAKING,  That means aux brakes on your towed.

I know many RVers do tow without aux brakes and don't have a problem.. I also know of many RVers, myself included, who have been glad they had Aux brakes for one or another reason.  We are fully convinced that the situation we got in (A swoop and squat in my case) we got out of without a scratch or dent due to having aux brakes.  The brakes saved the day.

I strongly suggest use of a good Aux brake system..My choice is the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator.

Now, as to MPG.. You might be surprised there.  You see, a motor home, in most cases, is not very aerodynamic, there is a large pocket of vacuum just behind it that tends to hold it back.  Parking a towed in that spot can, depending on the towed, almost pay for itself in terms of better air flow..  This is just a guess,, But I suspect an inverted canoe on top of the tracker will help more than hinder.  So you could see anything from a small change in MPG to none at all

Glen said:
(sorry if this is redundant, but couldn't find applicable info)  Here's the scenario: as active old-timers we bought a new, small motorhome (Forest River Class B Lexington 210) last year and have logged 10K miles at nearly 13 mpg (good for us with these gas prices.).  we travel from the NW to the SE every year (8K round trip).  this time we're considering towing our Tracker (2900#) wheels down.  two questions:
1) how many mpg will we lose with a canoe atop the toad?

Hard to say but I suspect up to 1-2 MPG less than you are getting now.  That is just a guess.
2) can we do this safely without auxiliary brakes?  (we're under weight limits and keep it at 60 mph but do not want to compromise safety.).  thanks for any advice.
Personally I would NOT tow without Auxilliary brakes since I do not feel it is a safe thing to do and in many states they are required by law.  Note that the brakes on your MH are only designed to stopp the MH at the GVWR.  I woulod never recommend towing without Auxilliary brakes.

Based on your NW-SE trips, you must go across some mountains (Siskiyou, Rockies, or whatever), in which case an auxliary braking system could help prevent an accident.  We had one in our Tracker that was towed behind a 30-foot Class C.  There are a number of threads in this forum dealing with various auxliary braking systems.  Use the Advanced Search feature above to find them.  You'll find all the pros and cons, as well as comments about the various brands.

ArdraF

Ron,

That keyboard is playing up again. I don't think you meant to say what appeared in your message.

The first question to be answered is what is the GCWR of your coach. I wouldn't expect it to be much over the GVWR which would limit your towing capacity regardless. We would need to know those 2 figures plus the travel weight of your coach and the Tracker in order to say whether the Tracker is safely towable or not. That said, while it is not illegal to tow the Tracker in any state without auxiliary brakes, it is highly not recommended.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbo1502001!
Back
Top Bottom