Toilet a Little Loose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LTWinnebago

We have a 2017 Winnebago 31KE, it gets a fair amount of use, we Winter in Florida for about 3 months and take several long weekends and 10 day trips through the Summer and early Fall.

So, we’ve had a few issues, but on our current trip we noticed that the toilet lifts about 1/4” from the floor if you wiggle a bit. The other side is tight, the floor seems solid and we haven’t had any real leaks except for the valve failing ocassionally, which a new one fixed easily.

The bolts are snug and I can’t torque them much more without the risk of something coming loose.

I’ll be calling my RV guy tomorrow, but wondering if this would be a simple fix or a PITA problem.

Any insight is appreciated.

Tony

The toilet is held down on a flange by bolts and nuts pretty much the same as residential toilets. Apparently the nut on one side has backed off a bit. How difficult tightening up the nut is depends on the toilet make/model.

We have a 2017 Winnebago 31KE, it gets a fair amount of use, we Winter in Florida for about 3 months and take several long weekends and 10 day trips through the Summer and early Fall.

So, we’ve had a few issues, but on our current trip we noticed that the toilet lifts about 1/4” from the floor if you wiggle a bit. The other side is tight, the floor seems solid and we haven’t had any real leaks except for the valve failing ocassionally, which a new one fixed easily.

The bolts are snug and I can’t torque them much more without the risk of something coming loose.

I’ll be calling my RV guy tomorrow, but wondering if this would be a simple fix or a PITA problem.

Any insight is appreciated.

Tony
If it's on a closet flange it's likely the screws securing the flange to the floor on that side have for whatever reason come loose. You'll have to lift the toilet to access the flange screws. If the decking is sound resecuring the flange is a simple operation.

The flange is screwed down into wood and in a damp environment,, sometimes you have to replace the screws with one size larger diameter,, not difficult.. but you will have to remove the stool..>>>Dan

OP mentioned the valve leaked "a few times."

I'll bet the flange is now attached to damp/rotting wood.

OP should pull the toilet and inspect the floor and underlayment, rebuild, if required and then reattach the flange at the correct height and install a new ring for the toilet so it sits flush to the floor. Toilets do not rise up 1/4" by themselves - something has change/broken/weaked/softened to allow this.

Thanks, hope its an easy one, I’ll let you know. The leaks were minor, just around the pedal area. But, I understand that’s a possibility.

Well the RV is all fixed. All work was done in one day. The toilet flange was cracked which caused the problem.

“Removed old flange and pipe, replaced with new pipe, flange and all new hardware. Tested and ran with water, no leaks”
They also did NYS safety inspection, oil, lube chassis and filter change.
Oil change on the generator and test.
Topped off propane
Rear backup bulb replaced
Adjusted the awning so that the arms uniformly covered the frame against the rig. (They were a bit misaligned when they folded in).

So, we’ll be on a two week trip in a few days. Very comfortable with this shop, nice people, quality work at a fair price…and 15 minutes from my home.

Well the RV is all fixed. All work was done in one day. The toilet flange was cracked which caused the problem.

“Removed old flange and pipe, replaced with new pipe, flange and all new hardware. Tested and ran with water, no leaks”
They also did NYS safety inspection, oil, lube chassis and filter change.
Oil change on the generator and test.
Topped off propane
Rear backup bulb replaced
Adjusted the awning so that the arms uniformly covered the frame against the rig. (They were a bit misaligned when they folded in).

So, we’ll be on a two week trip in a few days. Very comfortable with this shop, nice people, quality work at a fair price…and 15 minutes from my home.
A good RV repair facility that close is Valhalla, glad you got it resolved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom