Topper cover torn from coach side mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

My bedroom slide topper has torn from the coach side. It looks like there is a channel on the coach where a topper bead slides into. I can't see this bead on the portion of the topper that's no longer attached to the coach.

So what's the remedy. A new topper or can a bead be reattached to the topper if this is indeed the way it attaches to the side of the coach.

Without the topper properly attached to the coach, water collects on top of the slide and is dumped inside the coach when the slide is retracted. This only happens after it rains.

You've got 2 problems I can see.

Problem 1:  you need to check the fabric and see if it's just rotted to a point where it will continue to rip. If it's still sound, you should be able to take it off and take it to a boat cover shop and have then sew in a new beading material.

Problem 2:  You should not get water in the coach when to close the slide. There's a gasket along the top roof line and along the sides to prevent this. Not all slides have a toppers and they don't get water intrusion. Check it out.

Here are a couple of suppliers of replacement material:
http://stonevoss.com/
http://toughtopawnings.com/privacypanels.html

Thanks Rene. When we get home (we're traveling) I'll do some more checking. It looks like I may also need to replace the rubber seals on the top of the slides, all 3 slide tops collect water if it rains hard and it remains there when I stow the slide in. The toppers being 11 year old, it would be cheaper in the long run to replace them.

timjet said:
Thanks Rene. When we get home (we're traveling) I'll do some more checking. It looks like I may also need to replace the rubber seals on the top of the slides, all 3 slide tops collect water if it rains hard and it remains there when I stow the slide in. The toppers being 11 year old, it would be cheaper in the long run to replace them.

All 4 of my slides have toppers and the big one also collects water in the middle like your. No big deal. When I close it, I just do it slowly so the water drains out slowly.

I've tilted the coach with the jacks before retracting the slides to get water off the top of the slides. I re-level before retracting the slides.

timjet said:
I've tilted the coach with the jacks before retracting the slides to get water off the top of the slides. I re-level before retracting the slides.

I think you'll find that if start rolling up the topper one revolution at a time, it will drain.

Rene T said:
I think you'll find that if start rolling up the topper one revolution at a time, it will drain.

I do that, but I also drop the front end very slightly before starting the slide in -- this ensures the the water comes off forwards. On my coach, only the long, full length (almost) slide has that problem, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom