Tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandelion

We own a 2016 Starcraft that weighs approx 6000. We have been towing it with a 2008 Chevy Suburban.  We are planning a trip to Colorado and would like advice on a used truck or suv to tow it. Diesel is not an option.

Is that 6000 lbs the actual loaded gross weight, or perhaps the Unladen Weight from a sticker or brochure?  And how many people inside the tow vehicle?  Cause a 5.3L V8 on a Burb ought to manage 6000 lbs ok. Maybe not swiftly, but ok.  Of course, I don't know what you consider to be "barely".  It's going to slow down a bit. 

Does the Burb have the 3.73 "economy" rear axle? That gives it a tow rating around 7000 lbs, so with passengers and gear it is near max.

In any case, a half ton pick-up equipped to tow 9000 lbs or so should be an improvement. Get a GM or Ford Tow Guide for the years you are interested in and check out which vehicles can do the job. Major factors are weight carried in the vehicle, cab style, engine size and rear axle ratio.

https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2008-GMC-Trailering-Guide.pdf

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

No that's 6000 unloaded. We get down to 35 in wv, our daughter lives in WV so we go there often. We want to visit our other daughter in Colorado.  Not sure we can do those mountains.

No wonder that poor 'burb wants to retire, it has been worked hard. ;D You need to be concerned with gross weight, unladen as it comes from the factory is meaningless. An F-250/2500 properly equipped with the tow package and larger engine would make a world of difference. Why are you set against diesel? I wouldn't have anything else for towing in the mountains.

Consider a 2003 or later Ford F250 or Excursion SUV with the 6.8L V-10.
My trailer weighs 7,000lb all-up, and my Ex has towed it through the Appalachians and across the Rockies, the Sierra Nevada range, and the Cascades numerous times for a total of 65,000 miles without missing a beat.
Mine is a 4-speed with O/D, but later models have more gears to work with.
Don't be afraid to let the V-10 rev, but don't expect to maintain 65mph uphill either. Take it out of O/D or use Tow/Haul mode and let it find it's pace.

If you can find a decent 2500 Suburban it will have a 6.0 or bigger motor. Which would make for a much better towing experience.  Personally I would find a decent 2500 series gas motor truck, add a color matched cab high canopy and go.

I can relate, I tow a bit less than you, I had a 05 YukonXL, the 4 speed transmission is dismal.. I upgraded to a new truck.  A 2500 Burb or YukonXL would do much better, I just wanted the new technology and bling. Keep an eye on payload, the upper end Denalis start having sunroofs, power steps etc, starts taking from payload real fast.

No that's 6000 unloaded.
In that case the Burb is way overloaded.  Passengers, gear and loaded trailer weight are going to exceed its max capability.

Do you need to have an SUV or would a crew-cab pick-up be ok?

A half-ton pick-up can be configured to carry that sort of load, but it would be easier to find a suitable 3/4 ton, i.e. F250/2500 or a Suburban or Yukon XL 2500 with the 6.0L gas engine. To go with a 1500 Sierra or Silverado, it would need 4.10 gears with the 5.3L engine or most any 6.0L configuration.  Ford has some similar configurations available.

Back
Top Bottom