towing a mdx Acura

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIREMAN MIKE 73

I have a 2003 Southwind 37' and I put a Banks system on it with the computer chip. My question is am I putting too much stress on my 8.1.l workhorse engine if I decide to tow a 5,000 lb mdx acura? I don't want to buy another vehicle (smaller and lighter) if it is possible. Thank you for any help.  Mike.

The engine isn't the concern - it's the transmission, rear axle, frame & hitch, brakes, etc.  And you will likely exceed the limits of all of them.

You have the Workhorse W22 chassis under the Southwind, so it is rated for a maximum combined gross weight (GCWR) of 26000 lbs. That's the max weight for the motorhome and everything in it plus the Acura MDX and the tow bar. A 37 foot coach with the usual gear is likley to weigh in somewhere between 21,000 & 22,000 lbs, which means the MDX will likely casue you to exceed the GCWR.  exceed the Also, the reciever hitch on the Southwind is rated for 5000 lbs max and the MDX will stretch that to the limit or beyond.

In short, you are really pushing your luck towing such a heavy vehicle.

We tow a 2004 Acura MDX.  It weighs 4,400 pounds and tows great.  As I remember 2005 was the last year that an MDX was towable 4 wheels down.

JerryF

Back
Top Bottom