Towing a toad with a bit of overload for several hundred miles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to buy a hitch/ball system, Uhaul seems to sell ones with different drops.
Should I just go to Walmart and buy one with adjustable drop? RV is at the dealership and I don't know what's the hitch height. Or one doesn't really need adjustable hitch drop?

What you want is a hitch height that leaves the towed trailer sitting level when on flat ground. The advantage to an adjustable one is that you can change it according to what you happen to be towing.

I don't think this car can be towed with all 4-wheels on the ground, it's a front wheel drive sedan. I think only 4wd can be towed like that.
There are front wheel drive cars that can be towed on all wheels and there are also 4WD vehicles that can't. With most cars the determining thing is the transmission and with 4WD they must have a neutral position in the transfer case. The best way to know if your care can be towed on it's wheels is to look in the owner's manual under towing. But you are correct that the cost to set up to tow on the wheels isn't cheap. But a good dolly that has brakes isn't all that cheap either.

I need to buy a hitch/ball system, Uhaul seems to sell ones with different drops.
Should I just go to Walmart and buy one with adjustable drop? RV is at the dealership and I don't know what's the hitch height. Or one doesn't really need adjustable hitch drop?
I'd wait, Uhaul will sell what you need, and fairly reasonable. The drop will matter, and without measurement, who knows. You could ask salesperson to go and measure, there is info on how to measure on uHaul website.

I need to transport a sedan car and just realized that the weight of the rented autotransport trailer I booked + the weight of my car are going to be 250-300 lbs over 5,000 hitch rating on the RV. I only need to tow it for less than 400 miles like that.
Is it going to be ok with this small one time overload?

I smiled to myself reading this thinking that as a 20 something y.o. we would have done this on bald tires.

need to buy a hitch/ball system, Uhaul seems to sell ones with different drops.
Probably less expensive to get your own. Hitch height is less critical with a dolly than with car-haulers or 4-down toads, but close to level is still the most desirable attitude. Motorhomes are typically fairly high and a drop-hitch is used, but you really need some clue as to the height. Adjustable hitches aren't infinite; they typically have a range of 4-6". Some motorhomes may be best with an an 8-10" drop, but an adjustable that can do that may be pricey. Think in terms of $250+. Etrailer.com has an 11" adjustable drop adapter for only $179 but you need to add a ball mount to that price.

The alternative is to wait until you get there and then buy/rent a fixed drop adapter of a suitable size.

Using tow dolly is easy enough. Just double -check the straps holding the front wheels every time you stop. (and make certain that the parking brake is released. )
Someone mentioned that you could back a vehicle on a tow dolly. I would not advise that. the short distance they mentioned is like maybe a foot or two. Plan ahead and avoid getting into a situation where you have to try and back up.

There's adjustable hitch for $55 bucks in Walmart that allows to get up to 6" drop plus one can use it for a rise instead and it got the weight rating I need. I guess I'll buy it and if it doesn't work I can return, and get Uhaul one. The one suggested by Uhaul website costs more than half of that and hads 2.5" fixed drop, I'm not sure how they can estimate correctly without even having motorhome model, I guess this is the most common one.

Using tow dolly is easy enough. Just double -check the straps holding the front wheels every time you stop. (and make certain that the parking brake is released. )
Someone mentioned that you could back a vehicle on a tow dolly. I would not advise that. the short distance they mentioned is like maybe a foot or two. Plan ahead and avoid getting into a situation where you have to try and back up.
Oh I see, I can't back up, even with a car on the dolley? Where I was going to park overnight before returning the dolly I think is a one way thing, have to back up to get out of there. I'll try to park where I can just pull through, don't want to unhitch.

Oh I see, I can't back up, even with a car on the dolley? Where I was going to park overnight before returning the dolly I think is a one way thing, have to back up to get out of there. I'll try to park where I can just pull through, don't want to unhitch.
With the trailer, you could back up.
But with a Dolly, you have three pivot points besides the wheels on the towing vehicle. 1 is the hitch, 2 is the dolly wheels and 3 is the rear tires of the car, and the front wheels resting on the dolly can get twisted creating a new and unpredictable pivot point. No matter how you cinch them down, they can still twist and move unpredictably while trying to back up.

Yes, Uhaul website says attempting to back up with their dolly is not allowed. My understanding is that one shouldn't back up even with empty dolly.
Some people claim they had successfully backed up as far as 75 feet, with car on the dolly even, but it's going to be risky.

Backing up with an empty dolly is no problem. Think of it as a very short trailer. Just take it slow because a slight change of course results in the dolly veering off quickly. I have backed up a very short distance with the car attached.

Just take it slow because a slight change of course results in the dolly veering off quickly. I have backed up a very short distance with the car attached.
I've not used a dolly, but in backing my flat-towed toad I find I first must be straight before backing, since not being straight causes almost instant veering off course. But by creeping very, very slowly I've backed over 10 feet. But it does take extreme caution to not cause problems.

Last edited:
Yes, Uhaul website says attempting to back up with their dolly is not allowed. My understanding is that one shouldn't back up even with empty dolly.
Some people claim they had successfully backed up as far as 75 feet, with car on the dolly even, but it's going to be risky.
The turning radius on a dolly is very short, and the slightest angular force can produce a significant change in angle of attack.
I suppose that with a lot of time, and care, one can accomplish many things that someone else says cannot be done. Having said that, I'd actually pay money to see someone back a loaded U'Haul dolly straight for that 75 ft.

I have backed a trailer with a 40 foot power boat from one end of the Houston Convention Center to the other inside around vendors booths with no mishaps. Anything can be done with skill and practice. But not really for the novice. Chuck
The turning radius on a dolly is very short, and the slightest angular force can produce a significant change in angle of attack.
I suppose that with a lot of time, and care, one can accomplish many things that someone else says cannot be done. Having said that, I'd actually pay money to see someone back a loaded U'Haul dolly straight for that 75 ft.

But a trailer is relatively easy to back. Try that with a dolly or a 4-down toad behind a motorhome.
If you have never tried this in a very large convention center with booths set up and people everywhere you might not consider it easy. Have done it many times with a tow dolly. I would never consider it with a car 4 down. I have backed our RV with the car on the back 4 down for 10 or 15 feet many times. Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjay
Back
Top Bottom