Towing Advice - Nissan Murano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arweatherby

Hi, I am looking to purchase a 2010 Shadow Cruiser Camper which has a dry weight of 2905. I own a 2013 Nissan Murano with the below specs. Would anyone be able to provide some honest advice whether they would tow this camper with this vehicle? I don't intend to haul it frequently or over long distances. Thanks in advance
Tow Capacity: 3500lbs​
GCWR: 8,300lbs​
GVWR: 5,302lbs​
GAWR: 2753lbs​
GAWR: 2579lbs (rear)​

With all your stuff onboard both in the car and the camper, you will be close to the limits of the Nissan. The "Tongue weight" of the camper is important and gives you the level weight on the ball hitch. Take a look at that specification. Short runs on flat roads will be fine. Long runs through the mountains maybe not. Driving habits also contribute. Easy stops and easy starts are always very helpful.

Obviously your citing the trailers dry weight. Which is an unrealistic joke. No matter what you will be overloaded once you add battery,,propane and bare minimum stuff.

Obviously your citing the trailers dry weight. Which is an unrealistic joke. No matter what you will be overloaded once you add battery,,propane and bare minimum stuff.
Thanks Donn. If you were to add say 400lbs to the weight of the camper, would you have an opinion?

With all your stuff onboard both in the car and the camper, you will be close to the limits of the Nissan. The "Tongue weight" of the camper is important and gives you the level weight on the ball hitch. Take a look at that specification. Short runs on flat roads will be fine. Long runs through the mountains maybe not. Driving habits also contribute. Easy stops and easy starts are always very helpful.
I appreciate your insight and advice. I'll keep this in mind!

400 pounds is probably a bit unrealistic. 2 5-gallon propane tanks and one battery alone will add 100+ pounds. Equalizer hitch another 50 pounds. Even minimum of clothes, bedding, food and kitchen Stull can add 500 pounds easily. Did you forget water hose, sewer hose, a few tools?
On top of all that you have ignored frontal area. Most smallish SUVs also list a maximum frontal area for towing.

Hi, I am looking to purchase a 2010 Shadow Cruiser Camper which has a dry weight of 2905. I own a 2013 Nissan Murano with the below specs. Would anyone be able to provide some honest advice whether they would tow this camper with this vehicle?
The max tow capacity of the Murano gets decreased by any additional weight yu put inside, e.g. passengers and gear. And that trailer hasn't weighed 2905 since the day after it left the factory. If even then. Is that 2905 from the federal weight label on the actual trailer, or from a Shadow Cruiser brochure? Brochure weights are near always wrong on the low side and never include any optional equipment.

I'm also of the opinion that a Murano would be badly stressed by any 3500 lb RV trailer. The ratings are based on low utility trailers, not slab front & side RVs. The wind resistance alone on the Shadow would really strain the driveline and suspension of the Murano.

I have a 2000 Lexus RX300 with about the same size engine. I pulled a 2,000lb Uhaul trailer 150 miles last year.

On flat ground I was kinda OK up to 55 mph but had to go over a steep mountain pass and was down to about 25-30 mph.

So I think your going to have a bit of a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom