Towing Capability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madimas

I have a Tahoe Lite 19' Trailer (1997) that has a GVWR of 5600 lbs and a UVW of 2850 lbs.
With a heavy duty hitch and anti-sway bars, am I ok to tow with a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer with the following specifications:
GVWR (Standard): 5750
GVWR (Maximum): 6001
Towing Capacity (Standard): 5200
Towing Capacity (Maximum): 6600

That depends.  Before one can tell, you need to tell us the engine size, 2wd or 4wd, and the rear end ratio.  SS or Envoy would help too.   

We can get an exact number for your Trailblazer if you will identify the engine size and 2wd/4WD.  But you are likely pushing it unless your particular model qualifies for the max towing capacity. We like to discount the max by 10% (more if you will be towing in the Rockies) and compare the discounted value to the trailer GVWR (5600 lbs in your case). That means we would be looking for a 6200 lb tow rating in your case, assuming the Trailblazer will have only two normal sized people onboard. Additional weight in the Trailblazer detracts further from its tow capacity.

OK - I think I got most of the information you requested.
The Trailblazer is a 2007 LT 4WD.
The engine is a 4.2 Liter L6 (inline 6 cylinder).
I can't find the gear ratio anywhere.

The standard gear ratio in the Trailblazer is 3.42.  It has the option for 3.73 or 4.10.  We have been looking at the Trailblazer for my DW's new vehicle.  It is a very nice and capable SUV.  While you are proabably close to the limits with that trailer (assuming the 10 percent factor mentioned above), if you're doing primarily "weekender" trips and don't carry a lot of stuff with you, or don't fill the water tanks, I think you'll be fine.  You certainly would be if you jumped up to the 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/specifications/

Since you apparently already have both of these vehicles, I suggest you go to a truck stop or somewhere else where you can weigh your rig.  Load it up like you plan to use it, ensuring you have a full tank of gas also, and see how much it all weighs.  You can check the library here for checklists and tips for weighing.

Good luck.

edjunior said:
Since you apparently already have both of these vehicles, I suggest you go to a truck stop or somewhere else where you can weigh your rig.  Load it up like you plan to use it, ensuring you have a full tank of gas also, and see how much it all weighs.  You can check the library here for checklists and tips for weighing.

Good luck.

Excellent suggestion.  One does not want to be over weight in any case.

madimas said:
OK - I think I got most of the information you requested.
The Trailblazer is a 2007 LT 4WD.
The engine is a 4.2 Liter L6 (inline 6 cylinder).
I can't find the gear ratio anywhere.

Trailer Life gives the following tow ratings depending on rear end ratio on their website:

TrailBlazer/Envoy 4WD 4.2L I-6 5,200 with the 3.41:1 rear end;
     TrailBlazer/Envoy 4WD 4.2L I-6 5,700  with the 3.73:1 rear end;
     TrailBlazer/Envoy 4WD 4.2L I-6 6,200 with the 4.10:1 rear end.

Your trailer has a GVWR of 5,600.  Alllowing a 10% safety factor that trailer would need a truck with a tow rating of at least 6,200 lbs.   That rating would have to be increased to 20%, giving 7,000 lbs, if you plan to tow in the mountain or Pacific west. 

In short, if your Trail Blazer has a 3.41 or 3.73 rear end, the numbers indicate that the trailer is too heavy for the truck.  If it has the 4.10 you are ok for the east but stay away from the Rockies or the far west.

If you currently own both units, then it is time to get an actual weight of the trailer.  This is a matter of safety so do not kid yourself with the weighing.  Weigh the trailer packed and ready for the road with all your gear on board, and with a full tank of freshwater and full tanks of propane.   Then apply the 10% or 20% factors and make your own comparisons with the numbers I have given.

Do make a poiint of finding out your rear end ratio, it is critical here.  Check it out with a Chevy dealer's shop or if you still have the Chevrolet new car window sticker, it may give the ratio.

Carl L said:
Do make a poiint of finding out your rear end ratio, it is critical here.  Check it out with a Chevy dealer's shop or if you still have the Chevrolet new car window sticker, it may give the ratio.

Some manufacturer put it on the sticker inside the door, don't know about Chevy.

Carl has provided some very sound advice.  It just isn't worth jeopardizing yourself and your loved ones safety by traveling in an over loaded vehicle.  Get your rig weighed loaded as you would travel.  Even short trips in an over loaded rig is jeopardizing your safety along with anybody that happens to be near you.

Hi Again-
I had the opportunity to load up the trailer to test drive and weigh it today.
Here is what I got when I weighed it:
Both SUV axles: 5280 (actual weight on the scale)
Back SUV axle: 2740 (actual weight on the scale)
Trailer: 3460 (actual weight on the scale)

Here are my rough calculations based on the actual weights above:
Assuming 10% of the trailer weight is tongue weight, the actual weight of the trailer would be: 3844
The SUV trailer capacity is 5200. But, I'm in the Rockies, so I must discount that by 20%: 4160
My conclusion is that I'm 300+ pounds on the good side.
Do you see any problems with my math or am I missing anything here?
Thank you for your help.
Marty

It's likely your trail tongue weight is a bit more than 10%, but you should be OK as long as your SUV's rear axle and hitch load ratings have not been exceeded. The hitch is probably OK to 500 lbs of tongue weight, but verify that.

The 20% safety factor should cover any minor variances - that's part of why it is there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom