towing capacity and tongue wt but what about hitch capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbTN

I've followed a lot of threads about towing and tongue wt, but few seem to mention hitch capacity. The is one below for example that states a potential tongue wt of over 1000lbs. The op refers to what sounds like a smaller suv or truck. Shouldn't it be pointed out that those vehicles probably wont be able to handle that much tongue wt even if the payload is not exceeded?

I ask because I am thinking even with my Dodge 2500, my hitch is only rated at 1000/10,000 WDH (I can't find any marking on it so have to figure it could be original and that's what they put on), but my tongue weight may be over 1000 so I am going to weigh it this weekend to confirm. I may have to replace the receiver to get a higher rating. My trucks payload capacity is 2380 lbs so have plenty there to work with. 

There's not that much difference in cost between a 5,000 lb and a 10,000 hitch receiver.  I asked about that when I had Eckhart Trailer Hitches fabricate and install a custom receiver on my 23 ft. Hall Chaparral motorhome so I could tow my Bronco II.

The Bronco II weighs about 3500 lbs, so it's well within the capacity of a 5,000 lb receiver, and that's what Eckhart was going to fabricate and install.

But I thought I might get a heavier 4WD in the future, so I asked about having a heavier receiver installed for the added safety factor.

After seeing the motorhome had the stock P-30 frame, i.e. without any frame extensions added by the motorhome manufacturer, they agreed to fabricate and install a 10,000 lb. receiver.  The price difference was just the cost of the thicker steel, about $40.

I normally don't tow anything that heavy, but the extra capacity came in handy after a wayward driver ran a stop sign and totalled my F250 pickup, forcing me to use the motorhome to move a 6500 lb trailer I purchased in Las Vegas to Los Angeles.  I had an equalizing hitch so I just installed a brake controller in the motorhome.  The trip went well with no surprises.

rbTN said:
I ask because I am thinking even with my Dodge 2500, my hitch is only rated at 1000/10,000 WDH (I can't find any marking on it so have to figure it could be original and that's what they put on), but my tongue weight may be over 1000 so I am going to weigh it this weekend to confirm. I may have to replace the receiver to get a higher rating. My trucks payload capacity is 2380 lbs so have plenty there to work with.

It's common for receiver hitches to have 2 ratings for tongue weight; one without a weight distribution hitch (WDH) and one if you use a WDH. The same is true for the gross trailer weight with the hitch rated to tow a heavier trailer when using a WDH. For instance, the receiver hitch I use, without WDH, has a max tongue weight of 600 lbs and a gross trailer weight of 6,000 lbs. However, with WDH, the max tongue weight goes up to 900 lbs and max trailer weight goes up to 9,000 lbs.

Unfortunately, as near as you can tell, your hitch is not rated for a tongue weight over 1,000 lbs with WDH. The good news is that a replacement receiver hitch is much less expensive than a WDH. I did a search on etrailer and found a bolt-on receiver with 1,200 lb TW and 12,000 lb GTW with WDH for about $215. Here's the link if you are interested: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Dodge/Ram+Pickup/2001/37130.html?vehicleID=200149463

As I understand the question, what if the truck hitch rating is 1000/10,000 hitch / trailer wt max, and the TT weighs 12,500# or more?

1.  Many of us - including me - have been so focused on not exceeding payload that I miss this limit.  Very good and valid point.

2.  How can this limit be overcome?

As I understand it, if you have a 2" receiver, you are probably Class IV
If you need more than that 1000/10000, you need to upgrade your hitch to a Class V receiver, 2.5".
If you need more than that, I think the set-up gets different.

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/learning_center/general-towing-classes

I had already researched a higher rated Curt class IV so I'll prob go with that, price is not bad and install seems straight forward as well. I was just wondering if more people, mainly those asking about weights etc, were aware of the limits of their receiver and how that also needs to be considered.

I'll know for sure this weekend, and have actually considered just replacing it anyway just to have more cushion in the capacity. 

you can still get a class 3 or 5 hitch in a 2" reciever

https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-hitches/multi-fit

or for your 2001 ram 2500

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15511

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom