Towing Question 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 (Going to start shopping for a TT soon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
moisheh said:
Mark. Congrats on your your Ram. I only noticed the different axle ratios when I was shopping for aRam. I asked the salesman why one of the truck had a 3.71 ratio. He replied it was for people towing trilers. He then showed me some sort of list that showed the various weight of trailers that can be pulled by different models. He also stated that when they order atruck to sell to those that they spec that 3.71. Does your truck have the factory trailer brake? There is a website where you can punch in your VIN and get not only the windowsticjer but the build sheet as well. Sometimes the ratio is listed 3.2x but later in the list itshows the optional 3.71. Did you get the Hemiorthe ecodiesel?
Moisheh

Hi Moisheh!

After reading your  post, I went back to the 2017 chart and there were no listings for a 3.71 axle ratio. What year pickups were you looking at? I wonder if the 3.71's were  special orders. I do not have the factory trailer brake, but do have the wiring harness for it, I believe. I have my window sticker saved from when I bought the truck. No ecodiesel. Hmm I will try to find the build site just for grins.

I  will have a trailer brake installed as part of the TT cost as well as an anti-sway hitch.

Thanks for the info!

Mark & Sandy

Kdbgoat pretty much nailed it on the head I think...

The big thing is to load the truck, scale it and determine whats left for hitch weight.  12.5% is a great place to start.
Here is a link to a calculator to help you determine where you're getting close on weight :)

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

Very welcome, now good luck with all the "extra" purchases for the "essential" gear your going to require for the trailer haha costs nealy as much as the trailer ;)

Logger Joe said:
Very welcome, now good luck with all the "extra" purchases for the "essential" gear your going to require for the trailer haha costs nealy as much as the trailer ;)

hahaha you got that right, but it's part of the fun, too.

Mark&Sandy

Back
Top Bottom