towing ratings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2x

I own a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500, ext. cab, short bed with 4.8L V-8.  According to Trailer Life towing chart, it's capable of towing either 6100 or 7100 #s depending on rear axle ratio.  Where do I find the ratio, and the GCWR?  Thanks, Beau

Take your complete VIN to the local dealer and have him run it, he'll be able to tell you what ratio you have.

Note that trailer rating will assume a basically empty truck - driver and full tank of gas ONLY. 

Using your truck GVWR and actual truck weight, calculate ACTUAL payload - including passengers, hitch, cargo in the truck and TT tongue weight.  Find the truck GCVWR and make sure you are below this number, too.  Also, use the trailer GROSS weight.  Sales people will poo-poo GVWR, but nobody goes camping in an empty trailer.

You don't need to take your truck to a dealer to find out gear ratio, or any other option information.  It is all contained in the list of RPO codes that will be on a label somewhere in your truck.  Usually it's on a sticker in the glovebox on many GM models.  Then Google "GM RPO codes" or something similar, and you can find out what they all mean.  There are several GM/Chevrolet enthusiast sites that offer such information for free.

For my Suburban, the two codes that corresponded to gearing were GT4 (which indicated 3:73 gears) and GT5 (which indicated 4:10 gears).  The engine options (5.3L, 6.0L, and 7.4L in my case) all had their own codes too, which I leaned in advance of buying the Suburban.  I knew which engine/gearing combo I wanted for maximum towing when I was shopping for this vehicle, so I would always ask online sellers to send me an image of the RPO sticker.  Then there was no doubts about exactly what options the vehicle had.

steveblonde said:
i like that its pretty cool only question i though driver WAS already included it says no

I agree, I also thought that there was 150lbs diver included.  People probably under estimate the other other weights by enough that adding a 200 lbs driver might be a wash. :)  It's done by forum member over on Forest River Forums and did open my eyes in how the pin weights, payload and cargo in truck how to say with within specs or al least know where you are at..  What I like it is easy to use.

The pre-2015 max tow rating included a 154 lb driver (the standardized 70 kilogram driver weight used by the EPA in crash testing and other specs). Payload, however, is defined as GVWR minus vehicle curb weight, and curb weight does NOT include a driver. It does however, include a full fuel tank.

The 2015 and later tow ratings all conform to J2807 standard and include more stuff in the vehicle than previously.

This document from Ford has concise and clear definitions:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2012/12_TruckPayload_SB.pdf

Gary RV Roamer said:
The pre-2015 max tow rating included a 154 lb driver (the standardized 70 kilogram driver weight used by the EPA in crash testing and other specs). Payload, however, is defined as GVWR minus vehicle curb weight, and curb weight does NOT include a driver. It does however, include a full fuel tank.

The 2015 and later tow ratings all conform to J2807 standard and include more stuff in the vehicle than previously.

BE CAUTIOUS WITH PAYLOAD!!  I have found for late model Ford and GM (Chevy) models, their PUBLISHED Payload is bigger than their PUBLISHED    GVWR - Curb Wt.      Ram played by "old math" in the same years.  They were accurate or slightly understated.

Back
Top Bottom