Towing travel trailer with a f150 lariat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa1

Can i tow a 32 ft travel trailer weighing 6k pounds with an f150 truck states i can tow up to 13k

Well, it depends. Where, exactly, did you get "states i can tow up to 13k"?
Find your GCWR for the truck. That tells you how much the total weight of the truck and trailer can be to safely operate.
With wind resistance and crosswind pressure, pulling a 6 thousand pound "Big Box" down the road at highway speeds can be rather exciting if the box weighs as much as the tow vehicle.
And a crosswind gust can have you changing lanes rather abruptly.

Good afternoon. I’m not sure I understand the question. The rating number you have given is more than twice that of the trailer you want to tow. What are you asking?

13k tow? I don't think so - It could be the maximum combined gross vehicle weight which would include the weight of the truck and the trailer. After that you have to figure out how much your truck weighs to find out how much it can tow.

These numbers should be in your owners manual. Not all F150s would tow the same weight because of model options, variations and upgraded tow packages.

Can i tow a 32 ft travel trailer weighing 6k pounds with an f150 truck states i can tow up to 13k
Well are you talking about 6K dry weight or gross weight? And what engine and year is your F150? The aluminum bodies are rated at a higher tow weight than F 150s from 2014 and older. But a 32 foot TT has other forces at play, road grade and any windage on a certain day.

There are some F150 configurations that are rated to tow as much as 13k, though most are less. Often much less. You need to get the specs for your specific truck configuration and find the rating in the Ford Tow Guides. Options, tires, trailer tow package, trim level, etc. can make a huge difference.

You also need to be concerned about the truck payload (cargo capacity), which will be shown on a yellow placard on the driver door post. Your truck needs enough payload to carry passengers and gear as well as the trailer tongue weight and the weight of the hitch itself.

Nor is weight the only factor - travel trailers are harder to move than low utility trailers. A travel trailer has a broad & tall front that generates a huge amount of air resistance. Ford has advice about that in their tow guides and generally want you to stay below about 55 sq ft of frontal area (most RV trailers are much more than that).

Use the trailer GVWR as the estimated weight - you won't be towing an empty trailer. Assume the tongue weight will be 10%-12% of the GVWR.

First you are looking at dry weight when you should be looking at the GVWR. It is on a placard somewhere on the trailer.

Towing a 32' camper with an f150? Been there done that. F150 max tow with 3.5 ecoboost. Been from Florida to the rockies twice. Would I recommend it. Hell no. I have a ton of all kinds of trailer towing experience. With that rig I was often on the ragged edge.

Now same type of truck with a 26' flagstaff superlight. It's boring pulling that trailer. Sits behind like a rock. Even semi's passing don't rock it.

I'd be shocked if there is a 32' TT that weighs 6k. Mine of that length weighs 9500 loaded for my family, and its GVWR (the max it is rated to weigh) is over 11k. It's empty weight is 7900 supposedly, which is a meaningless number since brochure weights are historically underrated, and nobody tows them around empty anyway.

Weight aside, very few 1/2 ton vehicles (such as your F150) will do well handling a trailer box at/above 30'. The amount wind resistance and sideways sway from wind or passing traffic would be a pretty uncomfortable towing experience. Your truck's light duty suspension, tires, brakes, and engine/transmission cooling are not built for that kind of load.

Back
Top Bottom