Towing with a Motorcycle on my Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougsfan

I have a 31 foot class C with what I am told is 300 lb tongue weight capacity and 3500 lb tow weight limit.  Right now I do one of two things:  I tow my Mini Cooper behind the class C on a tow dolly.  Works fine.  Or I tow a utility trailer with my 450 lb '78 BMW R80 motorcycle in the trailer.  That works fine too.  But often I would like to take along both a vehicle and a bike.  So I was thinking about getting an older small Toyota 4wd pickup, and putting my bike in the back, and towing the truck.  Is that an plausible idea?  Towing a small pickup with a considerable amount of weight in the back seems like it may be a bit of a problem.  Opinions?

The 3500 lb overall weight limit still applies. The extra weight of the bike won't affect the dolly tongue weight any, though.

The biggest problem with a bike in the back of a small pick-up is that the bed typically isn't long enough for the bike. You probably need to carry it with the tailgate down.

I carried a 650lb Suzuki Boulevard C50T on the back of a Dodge Dakota with no problem. I used a piece of plywood, hinged behind the wheel wells, to distribute the weight across the tailgate area.  i could fold up the plywood so the tailgate could be closed when the bike was not being carried.

If you get one of these, you can keep the mini and take the bike with you.

Attachments

• DiamondPlate1.jpg
    DiamondPlate1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 55
I have what vmax showed its the tandem tow dolly and it works great I haul the Harley and tow the envoy so far have not encountered any issues. if you google tandem tow dolly you will have several companies to choose from. We purchased ours from a company in NC and they built it adding the extras we wanted.

Back
Top Bottom