Towing with my Allegro Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hambone303

I have an Allegro Bay Ford chassis. I have a question about the towing capacities of this coach. The more I search about towing with my RV and Toads the more conflicting info I find  ???   
First off here are the stats of the RV..
GVWR  18,000 LBS  ...MAX WEIGHT OF MH?   UVW+NCC=18000
UVW    16940 LBS
NCC     1060 LBS
GCWR   26000 LBS  ....I think this is the GVWR and towing capacity???  Which would mean that I could tow 8000 lbs with this coach with the proper hitch if I am thinking correctly???
I don't think that any of these numbers include the weights of fluids such as Gas 75 gallons=(approx 6 lbs per gals75lbs =450 lbs), 85 gals fresh water, approx 50 gals each black and gray water.
(185 gals x 8.32=1545 lbs.) (1545+450=1995 lbs)
So really I am limited to 6000 lbs towing capacity???
This is a problem.. I have been on one trip with my Tacoma (approx 4500 lbs) in tow (approx 500 miles). I know I can not flat tow the Tacoma so I bought a trailer. (approx 1900 lbs) This puts me at 6400 lbs approx.
It felt like 6400 lbs too. I was fine until I got to the mountains then It felt like too much for the RV to handle, I realize now why you guys buy the big, bad diesels...
So am I correct in my thinking and probably pushing the safe limits of my RV or do I have something wrong? I love my Tacoma and use it offroading, but I may be better off in the long run selling the trailer and Tacoma and finding something lighter that I can flat tow.
What do you more experienced RV'ers think?
Thanks,
Jason   
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/hambone303/PA050281.jpg

Basically what you can tow is the GCWR minus the actual loaded weight of the coach, subject to the limits of the hitch and its mounting. To put it another way, the max total weight of the coach and anything towed behind it is 26,000 lbs.

Your UVW is without any fluids, gear or passengers, only a 154 lb driver and a tank of fuel.  Once you put additional stuff onboard (possibly even including even some factory or dealer installed options), that number is no longer meaningful. Get the coach weighed as you will normally use it - you need that to know what you can tow and also how to inflate your tires.

All these weights are explained in our RV Forum Glossary. Click LIBRARY above and then Glossary of RV Terms.

OK, Thanks I will check the library before asking in the future.. I guess what I was after more or less, is someone with towing experience with a similar set up. I realize after reading the post again that I was not very clear with that.
I am going to take the coach and have it weighed. I will be taking a short camping trip in a couple of weeks when my kids are out of school, and will stop and have it weighed then. It will be loaded with food, water and everything else. Thanks for your reply.
Jason

Hey don't feel bad about not checking library first.  Someone will remember for you but still good to rehash info..tim

The Remco web site lists a number of applications for the Toyota Tacoma.  Depending on your model and year, you should be able to modify your Tacoma with a kit so that it will tow four down and keep you within your weight limits.  It may be pricey, but cheaper than a trailer and you can keep your truck.

Back
Top Bottom