towing with propane fridge running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodb

Just wondering as a newbie if its safe/legal to tow with  the refrigerator running on propane , My concern is the possible sloshing of the refrigerant . |
Thanks in advance for any help  ::)

I think the problem with running on propane is that in the event of a crash, you have propane gas flowing and burning and this could result in a fire or explosion. If your RV has an internal battery, you can operate on battery that your tow vehicle is recharging as you travel. The only time I think that using propane for the refrigerator makes sense is when you are camping/boondocking without shore power.

its a grey area ive never had an issue - nor have i heard of anyone having one, but there are tons of threads on the ol interweeb regarding this and every township state and province have an opinion but no yes or no answer that i can find or anyone can prove

vito55 said:
I think the problem with running on propane is that in the event of a crash, you have propane gas flowing and burning and this could result in a fire or explosion. If your RV has an internal battery, you can operate on battery that your tow vehicle is recharging as you travel. The only time I think that using propane for the refrigerator makes sense is when you are camping/boondocking without shore power.
well u unfortunately according to the manual it is  a 2 way fridge and no option on the switch for battery

You will hear heated debates on both sides. What you won't find, are meaningful reports of RVs blowing up due to a propane fridge left on. For me it is a not an issue, I leave it on. And I live in AZ so driving for 3-5 or so hours with the fridge off means it will take forever to recover, especially with the AC off in my fiver.

That said I do turn it off when I stop to refuel (my truck).

Mike

Many of us have run our refrigerators on propane for millions of highway miles with no problems.  The "sloshing" of the refrigerant is actually a good thing as it keeps it from clogging up when not on the level as it can do when parked, eventually causing a failure of the cooling unit.  Very few RV refrigerators today have a 12V option, so the only alternative to propane would be to run the generator.  Most of us just set the refrigerator on auto and let it choose the appropriate energy source, propane while traveling and electric when on shore or generator power.

As Mike stated, do turn the refrigerator off when fueling (and the water heater if on gas), not just because of the possible propane flame but the spark igniter that can trigger at any time.

Ned said:
Many of us have run our refrigerators on propane for millions of highway miles with no problems.  The "sloshing" of the refrigerant is actually a good thing as it keeps it from clogging up when not on the level as it can do when parked, eventually causing a failure of the cooling unit.  Very few RV refrigerators today have a 12V option, so the only alternative to propane would be to run the generator.  Most of us just set the refrigerator on auto and let it choose the appropriate energy source, propane while traveling and electric when on shore or generator power.

As Mike stated, do turn the refrigerator off when fueling (and the water heater if on gas), not just because of the possible propane flame but the spark igniter that can trigger at any time.

it is a 99 prowler and was hoping for a 3way fridge but will let it run on the long trip up north , nice to have a cold one after a long drive
Thanks again

BigSkyTrailerGuy said:
I'm not even sure if my flame and pilot flame would stay lit underway.  That's why I've never tried it.

I will have to see as others havent had an issue . The flame is pretty enclosed

Polarizing subject....but as mentioned, zero evidence of it ever causing an explosion.  FWIW I've run with the fridge on for 25 years now.  Out here in the desert, not doing so may result in spoiled food at your destination.

just for the sake of argument - what is the difference between a RV fridge running propane and a Reefer on a semi - other than fuel type - Reefers on semis, run gas and diesel, a Gennie on a RV runs gas/diesel/propane.So why would it be an issue? Just asking?

steveblonde said:
just for the sake of argument - what is the difference between a RV fridge running propane and a Reefer on a semi - other than fuel type - Reefers on semis, run gas and diesel, a Gennie on a RV runs gas/diesel/propane.So why would it be an issue? Just asking?

Propane is much more volatile than diesel, and uses a spark to ignite the fuel. You can actually extinguish a road flare in a bucket of diesel.

The potential for accident is greater with propane, but practical experience doesn't indicate there's a problem.

HappyWanderer said:
Propane is much more volatile than diesel, and uses a spark to ignite the fuel. You can actually extinguish a road flare in a bucket of diesel.

The potential for accident is greater with propane, but practical experience doesn't indicate there's a problem.

ty i was wondering- however some Reefers run on gas and so do Gennies - i get the diesel part but not the others. cheers i have to agree with Ned

Be aware that on the East Coast several Bridge Tunnels require you to turn them off
and they will inspect. Other than that I have never seen any restrictions.

Every ferry we've been on also requires propane be turned off.  The big ferries like the ones to Alaska and Newfoundland put tags on them to have a visual that it has been turned off.

ArdraF

We too have used our fridge on propane while travelling for around 40 years, that is both on our PUP and the Class A, so add our many tens of thousands of miles to no problems.  If you look at where they locate the heat source, it usually is located far from danger to start a fire.

Ed 

I like my propane tanks shut off at the tanks when I travel, so what we do, the evening before a trip we get the refrigerator cold by running the refrigerator with the battery and on propane.
My refrig. will keep things cold the entire next day while we are traveling.

Others can do what they want to, and I won't argue the topic  but I travel with my propane turned off

Jack L

Back
Top Bottom