towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twogirlsonthego

I am wanting to buy a flagstaff 29SKBS super-lite trailer...I am wanting to pull it with a chevy avalanche says I can tow 7,000 LBS and the camper dry wt says 5,865 LBS.  Is that too much wt for this truck...I really don't want to have white knuckles when I get to where I am going.

Yes, because by the time you get it loaded for camping you will be well over 7,000 lbs.  Most salesmen will tell you, you'll be fine; but they'd probably tell you that if you wanted to pull it with a Yugo if they thought it would get them the sale.

Dry weights have little meaning when figuring towing capacities. The weight you should be looking at on the trailer is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the total weight of the trailer loaded to it's maximum rated weight. Then deduct about 10% of the tow rating of the truck for passengers and gear in the truck, or 20% if you plan towing in the mountains. That will give you more realistic numbers and keep your knuckles from turning white.

In addition, the Avalanche has been known to blow transmissions and rear-ends pulling trailers.  Especially if you pull a lot.  I would look at a better truck for it, but if you don't want to go that route, I agree with the above.  You are probably beyond your capacity once you get fully loaded for the trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom