Tragic, yet avoidable accident.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing I saw in pictures that Kirk provided is that in nearly every picture, the door swung away from the awning arms. They wouldn’t be able to fully open the door and latch it open because of the arms. The last picture there were no arms in the immediate area so they went with the hinges facing the front of the trailer.
The floor plan dictated where the door had to be located and the awning dictated which way the door swung.

In Indiana the driver of a vehicle is responsible for all occupants. For instance if someone in the back seat is not wearing their seat belt and is caught, the driver gets the ticket.
A person can ride in a 5er or truck camper in Indiana, IF there is 2-way communications,but not in a bumper hitch trailer.
I suspect this was a case of not enough seats in the tow vehicle.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree that a (commercial) driver for hire - cab, big rig, bus, etc. - would be responsible for the passengers, but I have never heard of that for a regular driver/vehicle unless the passenger was a minor.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, and I agree that a (commercial) driver for hire - cab, big rig, bus, etc. - would be responsible for the passengers, but I have never heard of that for a regular driver/vehicle unless the passenger was a minor.
Probably depends on state laws: for instance - in states with motorcycle helmet laws if a passenger is not wearing a helmet then the passenger gets a ticket, and the driver also gets a ticket; if the driver gives the helmet to the passenger, then only the driver gets the ticket.

Why would you ever let people or pets travel in the rv is beyond my comprehension.
So sorry for thier loss of a family member & friend

Quite plausible.
Hopefully someone will eventually invent a hand-held communication device that does not rely on a wired connection and that is commonly available. Even better if they could figure out how to make it operate though a vehicle's sound system.

Hopefully someone will eventually invent a hand-held communication device that does not rely on a wired connection and that is commonly available. Even better if they could figure out how to make it operate though a vehicle's sound system.
FRS handheld walkie talkie.
They do make ones with bluetooth headsets.

Somebody needs to look up facetious.

I was indirectly suggesting that a cell phone call to the TV would have been a much better idea. My TV will even read a text to you if driving

Even if legally allowed I do not want passengers in the trailer. If there was an accident I'd much rather have them in a seat with a seatbelt on to avoid as much harm as possible.

One more example of education not equaling inteligence. Smart enough to be a doctor and not smart enough to make good decisions. If I ever told my wife to ride in the trailer I would be on my way to a divorce or the morgue.
Or maybe that was part of a plan?

We use our cell phones when parking our TT. I can go hands free through the bluetooth system in my truck. Should work while moving.
Of course my wife NEVER rides in the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom