trailer length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian H

Hi to all
early January i will be returning to the states again for a 3 month tour,this time i will be looking to buy a  travel trailer and truck.What length do you recomend i should look at for the two of us and which would be the better for towing ie 4x4 or dually or both, plus diesel or gas probably a F350, bearing in mind the truck and tt will not be imported to the UK but put in storage until next winter.This brings me to the last question for the moment,i will be looking for good storage at reasonable rates in Florida,any ideas ?
Thanks Ian

Trailer size all depends on your wants and needs. I know a couple different people who are fulltiming in 29-30 footers and some others who wouldn't dream of anything under 35 feet and at least one that thinks 40 feet is about right. A 30-32 footer with three slides (2 lounge and 1 bedroom) is a pretty roomy rig, though. The same thing at 35 feet becomes an elegant home.

Figure on an F350 Ford or 3500 (Chevy/Dodge) diesel as a minimum. Dually is needed if you get one of the larger trailers, just to carry the pin weight.  4x4 or not is up to you and depends on whether you expect to visit campgrounds where there may be mud, wet grass, or some sand. If not, than a limited slip different in a 4x2 is plenty.

So figure a 1 ton (F350/3500) diesel dually and flip a coin for 4x4 vs 4x2.

Thanks Gary
i was figuring on  about 30 ft with a couple of slides and a 350 dually really floats my boat.My budget this trip will be much less than last time due to the wife and i parting company.Any ideas on storage in Florida ? also are you hosting a spring rally this year?
Ian

I haven't made any plans yet for a Spring Rally - not sure what our own plans are yet.  Probably won't make a plan until January sometime. We are thinking about attending the FMCA International Rally in Georgia in March.  But we will be heading slowly north sometime around mid-April and we invite any & all of our friends to join us at stops along the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom