Trailer not tracking straight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tobor

Is it normal to see only one side of the trailer in the rear view mirrors?  What that means is, when sitting in the drivers seat and looking out the drivers side mirror I can only see the front edge (corner) of the trailer, but looking out the passenger side mirror I can see the front edge as well as the whole side of the trailer. 

I first notice this when we originally bought the trailer with a standard ball / friction plate hitch.  The Tow vehicle at the time was a Kia Borrego (Mid size suv) with regular mirrors, so I just figured that was how trailers looked in the mirrors.

Then we traded the Borrego for a Dodge RAM and noticed the same view out of the mirrors, on drivers side I can only see the front corner, passenger side mirror I can see the side of the trailer. 

I then got a Pro Pride hitch (Upgraded Hensley style hitch), and while moving the trailer I noticed that the hitch's 4-link box was always off center to the right of the trailer frame.  That got me thinking that if the axles are misplaced on the frame, say the track line of the wheels are pointed to the right from the centerline of the trailer frame, then the box of the trailer would be "pointing" to the left, and thereby when looking at the trailer in the mirrors, I would only see the left front corner and the whole of the right side.

Does that make sense? 

I have nothing to compare how trailers look in truck mirrors, or how they are suppose to feel like when towing.  I haven't noticed any problems towing, in fact I can't say enough good things about the Pro Pride hitch, but the more I think about it the more questions I have as to what is normal when viewing/towing a trailer.

We have an '11 23ft Gulf Stream Visa and an '11 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi crewcab 4x4.

Thanks

Do you have unusual tire wear on the trailer?  The only way I can think of to make sure is to measure from the king pin to both sides of the ends of the axles. It will have to be done carefully as the difference should not be over 1/2 an inch.

Difficult to say based on the side mirrors alone, since the placement of the mirrors, the convex shape of the right side mirror vs flat driver side side, and your viewing angle can all have an effect.  Someone driving behind you should be able to see it in an instant, though. The trailer will look "crooked" is off-track. Tire wear (outside edges on one side, inside edges on the other) may be apparent too.

tobor said:
I then got a Pro Pride hitch (Upgraded Hensley style hitch), and while moving the trailer I noticed that the hitch's 4-link box was always off center to the right of the trailer frame.  That got me thinking that if the axles are misplaced on the frame, say the track line of the wheels are pointed to the right from the centerline of the trailer frame, then the box of the trailer would be "pointing" to the left, and thereby when looking at the trailer in the mirrors, I would only see the left front corner and the whole of the right side.

Does that make sense? 

With the propride you can whack the yoke to one side or another a little bit (loosen the nuts on the U-bolts a little first) with a big hammer to make it track the way you want.  Taking a turn a little too tight will slide the yoke out of alignment, and I've had to do this once or twice.

I have nothing to compare how trailers look in truck mirrors, or how they are suppose to feel like when towing.  I haven't noticed any problems towing, in fact I can't say enough good things about the Pro Pride hitch, but the more I think about it the more questions I have as to what is normal when viewing/towing a trailer.

Axles that are out of alignment or that are miswelded to the frame are not unheard of.  They can be fixed, but finding a place that does that work can be difficult.  Around here, there's a spring shop that does custom work and also quite a bit of fleet repair that I would go to.  There might be someplace similar where you are.

One simple way to check the track of your trailer is to drive it straight over a wet spot and see how the trailer tires track in comparison to the truck tires.  If the left and right trailer tires are an equal distance from the truck tires its just an optical illusion with the mirrors.  ;)
  If not then you have either a hitch or axle alignment issue.

The mirrors don't have any zoom or fisheye effect, both seem to be straight glass.

I haven't looked at the tires for uneven wear and I like the idea of driving thru some water and look at the tire trail spacing.  I don't think I could get a good measurement from side to side or from hitch to axle mount / hitch to other axle mount.

Jammer - I have made some really tight turns with the hitch.  What part is the "yoke"?  The "U" bolts, are they the ones on the trailer frame that hold the bracket that "centers" that "T-Bar"? 

And then what am I whacking with a hammer - the "centering" bracket/frame, or the big head unit (the one where the old ball would have been), and then am I whacking it left or right, or am I moving it front or back to realign?

tobor said:
The mirrors don't have any zoom or fisheye effect, both seem to be straight glass.

I don't think I could get a good measurement from side to side or from hitch to axle mount / hitch to other axle mount.

If you measured across the width of the trailer at the back frame member and marked the center point, then you could take a measurement from the same place on both ends of the axle to that center point and see if they are the same. It wouldn't be 100% as accurate as a hitch measurement, but it would give you a real good idea if it was axle misalignment.

why not have someone follow you to see what they think? If it is ''crabbing'' it will be easy to spot.

I have noticed the same thing with my 5th Wheel. I think it happened after I had a crack in the frame repaired. When I noticed it I had axles checked and in fact put heavier replacement axles on. It still seems to show up to track to one side, but don't get any unusual wear on the tires so I have not done any more with it and haven't had any more issues for about 5yrs.

tobor said:
I haven't looked at the tires for uneven wear and I like the idea of driving thru some water and look at the tire trail spacing.  I don't think I could get a good measurement from side to side or from hitch to axle mount / hitch to other axle mount.

If the tires/wheels are square with one another.  You will not get unusual wear.
If the axles are square with the frame it will run true.  If the axles are not square with the frame it will track off and not have unusual tire wear.

best of luck!!

Alignment method for 5th wheel trailers, Put a pipe bar etc under pin adjust with level to plumb, put some weight on it so it will not move. Make a loop of wire to go around pipe. Measure from bar with loop to forward axle to one of the backing plate bolts. Measure other side, should be within 1/16 of an inch. At 1/8 out of alignment you are pulling that axle 300 feet sideways per mile. You can the measure to the rear axle the same way. this method is accurate enough to tell you if need to take it to a shop with a lazer alignment tool. Its the same process for a travel trailer. The axles have to follow the pulling point. Most alignment issues are spring center bolt issues.

wmclay,
Can you show me the math on that? I used to set the left side of an axle 1/8 forward because of the road crown. This was on 40 ft flatbed trialers.

Back
Top Bottom