Trailer safety chain save truck from falling into george

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing I've not seen many trailer chains that ...studry.

Wonder why they did not get a heavy duty tow in there, chain up the truck and lift it to the roadbed occupants and all. then open the doors and let 'em out. Once it was "Anchord" there was no danger of further injury and the seat belts worked as designed to make the major injury not to the occupants but to their... undies..

John, with the rear axle hanging like that I suspect they were concerned about having a solid point to connect to.

I looked closely at the chains and the truck hitch.The trailer came off the hitch ball, which I assume there the latch was not secured with any safety pen. But i bet there was some cross winds as they started across the bridge and was doing a decent speed and the rig started swaying . Then the truck got sideways too far and the camper pushed the truck into the guardrail and over the edge. The air bags in the truck appear to be deployed. That was a lucky day for those folks and their two dogs in the truck. I wonder how the chains were secured to the camper frame? That was some intense stress.

I agree that a heavy wrecker should have hooked up (and maybe it did but the photo without is better news) and stabilized the truck and then fire/rescue could get the people out.
There is no way they would try and lift the truck with people in it. No tow operator would accept that liability. I would use a bridge inspection bucket truck to reach them.

Look closely at the front bumper of the truck with the flat bed trailer. There's a strap or chain connected to the bumper and the dangling pickup truck.

Selection_010.png

Yes, the article says that the first thing the first emergency response units did was secure a second cable to an 18 wheeler on the scene.

Back
Top Bottom