Trailer Sway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wavery said:
I just did a quick search on the OPs description of his trailer and came up with this:
http://www.hemlockhillrv.com/rv/southington+ct/keystone+traveltrailer/911/keystone+cougar%2Bxlite+32sab
----------------------
Shipping Weight 7,380 lbs
Carrying Capacity 1,620 lbs
Hitch 745 lbs
Length 35' 11''
Height 10' 11''
-----------------------
The above trailer has a "Shipping wt" of 7380# and a GVWR of 9000# (That's why I asked what the GVWR is)..... it is rather typical for a fully loaded TT to weigh ~1,000 over the shipping weight........ All conjecture, I know..... that's why some of us have encouraged the OP to take the trailer to the scales. Until he has the actual scale weight, all we can do is guess. I think that we could be much more help to the OP if he had actual weights.

The problem is, a lot of people will look at the "Dry weight" of a trailer and ignore everything else because they want their TV to be able to handle the trailer that they love....... in reality this can be a very dangerous mind-set. I'm not saying that the OP is doing this but it is common enough to suggest that the OP weigh his trailer so that he can better get help solving this issue with facts rather than guesses.

Nicely done.  Nailed it perfectly.  8)

Get it to the scales and know for sure.

Wavery said:
I just did a quick search on the OPs description of his trailer and came up with this:
http://www.hemlockhillrv.com/rv/southington+ct/keystone+traveltrailer/911/keystone+cougar%2Bxlite+32sab
----------------------
Shipping Weight 7,380 lbs
Carrying Capacity 1,620 lbs
Hitch 745 lbs
Length 35' 11''
Height 10' 11''
-----------------------
The above trailer has a "Shipping wt" of 7380# and a GVWR of 9000# (That's why I asked what the GVWR is)..... it is rather typical for a fully loaded TT to weigh ~1,000 over the shipping weight........ All conjecture, I know..... that's why some of us have encouraged the OP to take the trailer to the scales. Until he has the actual scale weight, all we can do is guess. I think that we could be much more help to the OP if he had actual weights.

The problem is, a lot of people will look at the "Dry weight" of a trailer and ignore everything else because they want their TV to be able to handle the trailer that they love....... in reality this can be a very dangerous mind-set. I'm not saying that the OP is doing this but it is common enough to suggest that the OP weigh his trailer so that he can better get help solving this issue with facts rather than guesses.
This is what I was referring to.

True, we don't have a specific model number yet.  And really, even with the MFG numbers, it's still a guessing game without putting it on the scale as ready to travel.  But I still suspect that trailer is a bit portly for what the OP is towing it with, which if that isn't directly causing the sway condition, it's aggravating it.

Poe said:
I have a 2013 Keystone Cougar 32 foot. I have weight distribution bars and a friction sway bar attached. It SWAYS! Do I need to add a second sway bar or go up a chain link on the weight distribution bars? Its towed with a 07 Expedition EL. I have only towed this twice and it is still using the same setup from the RV dealer.

First of all.  Go to Library  and check out.....    http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=195:using-a-adjusting-a-weight-distributing-hitch&catid=26:towing-and-towables&Itemid=45

Set your hitch up per instructions.  If you still have sway.  Tighten the friction sway control.  Simple as that.

warsw said:
Really.............It sounds more like there is a lot of ad-libbing going on.
That's true but we have no choice but to "Ad-lib" when we don't have all the facts. I thought that I was pretty careful to state that fact. I even stated, "All conjecture, I know....." and I was clear that I was referring to the trailer that I found that met the OPs only description. IMO.... It's best to err on the side of caution than the side of recklessness.

I think that it's a lot safer than stating, "I pulled that 6200 lb TT (28 ft) with out any sway control and had no problem at all." Leaving the OP with the assumption that the OP would have a similar trailer with a similar experience. I see no real-time comparison between the 2 trailers or 2 TVs for that matter. 

I think that it may be a tad careless to make statements like that in forums like this because often times that's exactly what a new poster is looking for to justify something that he knows in his heart is wrong........ then when all goes bad, they have this as a justification for their actions (not referring to the OP).

Everyone, thank you for your feedback. I was just looking for some good experienced advice...I did not mean to start an argument among any of you. I was a over the road truck driver for 7 years and I have not experienced this before. The trailer is a 2013 Keystone Cougar RBK Xtra-lite 7200 lbs (dry weight) 750 lbs tongue weight. My TV is rated for 9000 lbs plus some change. It is not a standard Expedition it is an EL. Its longer than a standard Expedition. Your right, I have not gone to the scales to figure out the actual tongue weight. I'm going to do that. This trailer is completely empty other than 200 lbs gear in the very nose. I have only towed this twice since I bought it......once, home from the dealer and once with the front water tank completely full to see if this made a difference. My WD bars are on the very first chain link...lowest WD possible as set by the dealer. My main concern was if the dealer had things set up properly and correctly. Everyone has given me great things to try to get this fixed and I appreciate it. I think I just need to do some weighing, adjusting, with it loaded, and then test drive then make adjustments.

Poe said:
Everyone, thank you for your feedback. I was just looking for some good experienced advice...I did not mean to start an argument among any of you. I was a over the road truck driver for 7 years and I have not experienced this before. The trailer is a 2013 Keystone Cougar RBK Xtra-lite 7200 lbs (dry weight) 750 lbs tongue weight. My TV is rated for 9000 lbs plus some change. It is not a standard Expedition it is an EL. Its longer than a standard Expedition. Your right, I have not gone to the scales to figure out the actual tongue weight. I'm going to do that. This trailer is completely empty other than 200 lbs gear in the very nose. I have only towed this twice since I bought it......once, home from the dealer and once with the front water tank completely full to see if this made a difference. My WD bars are on the very first chain link...lowest WD possible as set by the dealer. My main concern was if the dealer had things set up properly and correctly. Everyone has given me great things to try to get this fixed and I appreciate it. I think I just need to do some weighing, adjusting, with it loaded, and then test drive then make adjustments.
The problem with "Dry weight" is that often does not include extras like A/C awnings etc...... I believe that you should have a sticker that tells you the "Delivered Wt". At any rate, I think that you will find that your loaded wt will be closer to 8500# with a tongue wt of well over 800#.

The other figure that you will need to know is the GCWR of your Expedition. It's best to subtract the GVWR from the GCWR of the vehicle to come up with the max wt that the vehicle is rated to tow (this is what I found....2013 Expedition GCWR: 4x2: 11,800; 4x4/EL 4x2: 12,100; EL 4x4: 12,300 http://www.sandersonford.com/2013-Ford-Expedition-Phoenix-AZ.aspx )..... Keep in mind, the MAX tow rating is the max wt that the empty vehicle can tow as long as long as no other ratings are exceeded. 9,000# is not a realistic # for a fully loaded vehicle, pulling a long camping trailer, ready for a camp-out. In fact, I don't see how Ford can advertise a 9K# tow rating at all with those #s..... I must have something wrong.... you will have to use the actual #s from YOUR "Owners Manual". You would have to have a GCWR of at least 15,000# if your curb wt is 6,000#
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tab=specs&recnum=&actLog=&listingId=106044390&paId=492116862&listingRecNum=6&criteria=sf1Dir%3dDESC%26mkId%3d20015%26stkTyp%3dU%26mdId%3d21085%26rd%3d30%26crSrtFlds%3dstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3d92627%26rn%3d0%26PMmt%3d1-1-0%26stkTypId%3d28881%26sf2Dir%3dASC%26sf1Nm%3dprice%26sf2Nm%3dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3dfalse%26rpp%3d50%26feedSegId%3d28705&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=&numResultsPerPage=&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&&aff=national
Curb weight 5,928 lbs.
GVWR 7,625 lbs.
Payload 1,697 lbs.
Towing capacity 9,000 lbs.

Using the #s above..........If you just use the 12,300# figure and subtract your curb wt of 6,000#, you will see that your vehicle is grossly over-loaded with your empty trailer even before you even begin to add passengers and cargo to either.. It's best to have actual #s from YOUR vehicle.

Wavery said:
I think that it's a lot safer than stating, "I pulled that 6200 lb TT (28 ft) with out any sway control and had no problem at all." Leaving the OP with the assumption that the OP would have a similar trailer with a similar experience. I see no real-time comparison between the 2 trailers or 2 TVs for that matter.
What I stated was fact. Yours was not. What my statement was saying was that with proper set up I got no sway even without sway control using the SAME vehicle the OP was using. He maybe pulling a little heavy with his set up but the SWAY is because he doesn't have things setup properly not because he might be 50 lbs over on his tongue weight. That's a different problem.

I think that it may be a tad careless to make statements like that in forums like this because often times that's exactly what a new poster is looking for to justify something that he knows in his heart is wrong
It may not have been wrong. You were just making assumptions. I was going on what info was given not trying to interject something that wasn?t there.

Have you every pulled a TT with an Expedition? If not you have absolutely no experience with his set-up. Set up properly an Expedition is a very capable tow rig. You don't need a One Ton Dully to pull an empty 8' utility Trailer  ::).

warsw said:
What I stated was fact. Yours was not. What my statement was saying was that with proper set up I got no sway even without sway control using the SAME vehicle the OP was using. He maybe pulling a little heavy with his set up but the SWAY is because he doesn't have things setup properly not because he might be 50 lbs over on his tongue weight. That's a different problem.
It may not have been wrong. You were just making assumptions. I was going on what info was given not trying to interject something that wasn?t there.

Have you every pulled a TT with an Expedition? If not you have absolutely no experience with his set-up. Set up properly an Expedition is a very capable tow rig. You don't need a One Ton Dully to pull an empty 8' utility Trailer  ::).
You win..... ;D

Another factor that makes sway worse is tire pressures on the TV and also on the TT. If the tire pressures are lower than there suppose to then sway becomes more pronounced. I learned this lesson not to long ago. I hitch up the RV and thought I pull it down the highway for a few miles come back and park it. I didn't change my tire pressures from empty to towing numbers. Wow! The trailer pull the truck left to right all over the place. Next trip out I air up the tire on the truck and absolutely no issues with sway. I don't even have a sway bar. Sometimes it also makes it better to let out one link on the WD bars and put more weight on the rear of the tow vehicle. Just some things I've figured out towing a 7,500# (scaled) 31' Jayco Eagle 296 FBS with a 2500 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Wow I din not see anyone suggest to OP how to set up a WD hitch. I found it in the arcives when I needed it and it was most helpful.
Measure front and back bumpers of vehicle unloaded. Hook up TT and WD hitch and measure again. Try to keep lost inches as close as possible.
Cathy

Mud Puppy said:
Wow I din not see anyone suggest to OP how to set up a WD hitch. I found it in the arcives when I needed it and it was most helpful.
Measure front and back bumpers of vehicle unloaded. Hook up TT and WD hitch and measure again. Try to keep lost inches as close as possible.
Cathy
See reply #26......  ;)

We have a Dutchman Kodiak 200Q, 25' that has a equalizer hitch that came with the travel trailer. We are now in process of buying new truck, Toyota tundra that has built in sway... brake system etc... is anyone familiar with this? We are wondering if we still need to use the equalizer hitch with new 2013 trucks? thanks, I am sure I have not given you enough info..

Hights,

tanglemoose said:
We have a Dutchman Kodiak 200Q, 25' that has a equalizer hitch that came with the travel trailer. We are now in process of buying new truck, Toyota tundra that has built in sway... brake system etc... is anyone familiar with this? We are wondering if we still need to use the equalizer hitch with new 2013 trucks? thanks, I am sure I have not given you enough info..

Hights,
Yes, you will still need a WD hitch and some sort of sway control. The built in sway control in the Tundra is there to help stop loss of control in the event that the trailer gets excessive sway. It does not work to stop it from happening. It works to get the trailer back under control when/if it does and it does absolutely nothing for weight distribution. Hope this helps some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbo1502001!
Back
Top Bottom