Transmission and engine computers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lesmccoy3

I recently purchased a 2006 suncruiser.  Work Horse chasses, chevy engine, allisopn transmission.
  My problem is that it quits running occasionally.  sometimes on a steep hillo, sometimes on the flat.  I just goes down to emergency mode.  I  pull over and turn off the key.  wait a few minutes start it up and it usually run fine the rest of the day.
  Because of the way it acts I assume it is a computer problem between the transmission and the engine.
  I have had it diagnosed at a transmission shop and they can find nothing wrong.  Can anyone help me?
Les In Peoria

Hello Les from Peoria,

Welcome to the site.
Go to your local autoparts store and have them scan the codes. Ask for a print out. Then you can search the web for solutions, or ask here. Or take it to a dealer and tehy will run diagnostics and recommend solutions with a cost estimate. Most times you will get the diagnostic fee back when tehy do the service work. But ask.

Peoria IL. or AZ?

We had similar problems on a couple of vehicles and they both turned out to be trash in the fuel tanks.

Welcome to the RV Forum lesmccoy3

I would also encourage you to have code check. Although My guess is a faulty sensor.

What do you mean specifically by "emergency mode"?  Mine has gone into what's called "limp mode" where the transmission will not shift into any higher gear than 2nd and reverse.  When it's done it, it has not turned on the engine light but it does set codes you can read via OBD.  There are numerous and varied reasons why these things happen so doing an OBD scan *before* you let it reset itself is a key diagnostic clue.  You can buy OBD interfaces very inexpensively and run the free diagnostic software on your phone or tablet.  I keep one connected in my RV permanently along with an old android tablet running the software.

I wouldn't assume a computer problem.  They're only the messenger.  Something as you describe can easily be any number of other electrical or mechanical issues that are triggering the computer to alter the vehicle operation.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

OK, hen limp mode.  It won't respond to accelerator or shifting.  Anyhow.  Like I said I just pull over.  Turn the key off for a few minutes and it starts up and usually run fine.  Once it did not.
  I guess I don't know how to use the OBD to get an error message.  Explain to me. Please.
Thanks
Lesmccoy3

On a gas engine the easiest way to use the OBD to get error messages is something like TORQUE app on your phone and an OBD-II to Blue tooth adapter.
First a caution.. NOT ALL of those adapters work.. the Torque documents show a "Cheap E-Bay Adapter that likely will not work"  I have two that look exactly like the photos of that adapter in the docs. they work great..... I have two that are different. do not work at all  I'd have to go into my accounts to find the make and model.

Torque uses Blue Tooth to connect to my Android phone and then the phone both displays Error Messages (Which I can show my repair tech) and speaks them out to me so I dont' even have to look.

It can also clear error messages from the Engine computer while at the same time logging them for the mechanic to see later.

I can also configure it as a "Glass Dash" to display sensors not on the vehicle dash. for example RPM (Motor home has that but car does not) Fuel consumption. Manifold vacuum.  O2. and a host of others. 
It will display both GPS and Vehicle speed sensor speeds. and more.

If this is new territory for you, you're in for an education.  One that by all rights you shouldn't have to go through unless you wanted to become a mechanic.  But the way it works today this is your most direct path to a solution, otherwise you're bound to hoping it happens while a mechanic is watching it.

In a perfect world vehicle computers would not only log and retain error codes but also the operating conditions that caused them.  Sometimes even if they do, they're obscured within other data or it's readable only though specialized diagnostic equipment.  The OBD readers out there today only go so far but some data is better than no data.  So for intermittent problems like these where it doesn't happen for the mechanic, having some of the diagnostic data you gather yourself can be a big step to resolving the problem whether you take it somewhere or fix it yourself.

In this case in particular, I think just because it's not an emissions related issue the code set may not be stored.  Which could be manufacturer or even model specific, I've seen it reported both ways.  In any event, pulling codes as soon as it happens makes sure you get as much diagnostic info as possible.

I use an OBDLink MX, about $50.  It seems to work just fine with drivetrain data. I use that with Torque on an android tablet, as a tablet screen is easier to see while driving than squinting at a phone screen.  I can monitor all the usual engine parameters as well as transmission slip, shift speeds and temperature.  Watching this data in real time may reveal the condition or circumstance that causes the computer to resort to limp mode.  The Torque app has the ability to store operating data as it runs, so you can go back and review things at the moment the problem occurs.

Rest assured that whatever is causing this to happen will not go away on its own.  Something like a fried clutch or bad pump will eventually lead to complete transmission failure and probably not at a convenient place or time.  It could be something simple like low fluid or a sticking shift solenoid. If it's engine related you can see the fuel pressure, timing, fuel mixture and throttle.  There's probably a dozen or more different things that can trigger limp mode.  So it's worth the time to set yourself up to be able to work with OBD data and know what's going on.  Sucks that in this day and age with computers and processors in just about every thing we touch, we're bound to hooking our phones up to the vehicle and deciphering obscure codes and data to figure out what's wrong.  But  that's better than being broken down on the side of the road and wondering why it won't go.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

OK, finally found this site again.  Thanks for the information .  Going to try these things out when I get back to Arizona.
  Hopefully something will work to figure it out.
  lesmccoy3 from Peoria, Az

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom