Travel Nurse thinking about getting started ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travln RN

Hello everyone, First post from a potential RV guy...    I am a single traveling nurse and I relocate to areas for 3-4 months at a time and instead of living in an apartment I'm thinking of getting an RV. I also love camping, hiking and the outdoors so it would be used for that as well. I normally take 3-4 weeks off at a time between assignments.

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota, GVWR 6010, Towing 7150, GCWR 11700... This doesn't leave too many options other than something small and I'm afraid living in a 24' TT would be difficult for 3-4 months at a time. Ideally I would love to get a 35+ foot toy hauler and a larger tow vehicle but money is and issue. I would hate to invest into a large truck and 5ver and not like RVing.

Any and all suggestions and comments greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

You'll need to upgrade to a decent towing vehicle first. I would recommend at least a 3/4 ton diesel.

It's a good idea as long as you enjoy living in the Rv I have been doing the same at auto plants for years now.
Life in cold climates is more challenging than an apartment.

Before you spend money on a larger vehicle i would go to a show and see exactly what is available looking at ones you can tow and at "dream" units a big toy hauler will require a big truck 35' will most likely be needing a 1-ton dually or larger. Which is inconvenient for a daily commuter when you get there. You might consider a motor home and tow your current truck also.

Welcome Trav!

Glen's suggestion of considering a motorhome isn't a bad idea.  In that you are not talking about spending a lot of time on the road, an older unit in good shape might work well, and can probably be bought right with the economy where it is and considering the time of year. You could keep your truck and tow it.

You are right about the Dakota's limitations. Great truck, but not a serious hauler for big trailers. And proably right that you would find a 24 footer cramped for full time living. Some people do it, though.

Consider a 30 foot travel trailer, which would give you quite a bit of room with  reasonable weight.  Here's an example: http://www.keystone-outback.com/index.html.

You would still have to trade your truck for something a bit larger, but not all the way to a big diesel duallie for hauling a 35 foot fifth wheel.

That is alot of good advice. I guess I have a lot to consider!!! I think I may just start working as much overtime as possible because it looks like my options wont be cheap.

Hey, that Keystone Outback TT may be the ticket right there. It would be less expensive then the other options and I wont be kicking myself t hard if I dont like it...

Thanks again all.
Jim  

We travel 4-5 months at a time in a 28-foot motorhome. We find it just fine for the 2 of us and the 70-pound labrador. My parents travel 3-4 months at a time in a 24-foot 5th wheel. They find it just fine for the 2 of them and their small Aussie. Both of us have a single slide....slides make a world of difference. Of course, we have friends who find their 35-foot, triple slide, motorhome to be too small. Different strokes for different folks. Which is why it's a good idea to try out an RV before spending a ton of money.

Wendy
Calico Ghost Town

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbo1502001!
Back
Top Bottom