Travel to AK through Canada from NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

Do any of you think, with the price of fuel being "up", the travel and visitors will be down; through the Canadian Rockies and into AK?
We are still contemplating our summer travels.

Because of the Covid restrictions I think a lot of folks who couldn't travel might be planning to go this year. I am no expert though.

Are the fuel prices still on the rise? From another post I got the impression they had stabilised or even reduced in some places.

We are going to Canada and Alaska this summer with Adventure Caravans. I understand they have had more cancellations than normal, but the trips are still completely full with others that couldn’t get on the list originally. Since there are 3 years of interested people (2020-2022), I expect it to still be busy. In fact, the only reason we are going with a caravan is because we were worried about crowding! There are FB pages I follow regarding Alaska travel, and there are still lots of people going.

Thanks. I think fuel prices are down, slightly, from I see on the Canadian side near our home.
I suspected, from what we have seen/experienced so far, that fuel prices have not deterred travel.
I think we are going to opt for our NE Canadian tour this summer - Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, New Foundland and Maine.

We are doing an 8 to 10 week 6 province tour. BC to Quebec. We have been booking campgrounds already, mostly last part of May and June. So far no problems with availability. Should be fun. Can’t wait to get back to old town Quebec City. Our favorite city in Canada.

Remember there are an awful lot of our friends and relatives who can’t travel because they are no longer with us. Add COVID to the normal death rate, and I have had more friends than I can count on two hands who died in the last two years. I have family now on permanent oxygen due to lung damage. I am not waiting to travel, because no one knows how long they have. Just go while you can.

Thanks. I think fuel prices are down, slightly, from I see on the Canadian side near our home.
Prices seemed up, to us.

We left on 4/19 from Denver to Eastern KY. We left Grayson on 4/27 and diesel had gone up from the $4.79 best we'd found eastbound to $5.19 or so for the best westbound. The highest we saw eastbound was $5.19. The highest we saw westbound was $5.74 on 4/29.

Gasoline had gone up some, too, but we didn't track it.

We traveled to Cape Cod for the weekend. There seemed be quite a few RVs on the interstates, no problems getting RV sites for the 3 nites to the Cape, or 3 nights on the Cape (no reservations till the day of travel/arrival).
Gas went from 4.29 at home, in Norhtern NY, to a low of 3.95, just off the Cape. Most inbetween was 4.09 - 4.29. Diesel was at least a dollar more at all the places we checked.
Will be headed to Maine in a couple weeks.

For the poster wanting to head to Alaska thru BC. Gas is 1.73 per litre Canadian downtown right now. That’s 5.12 USD per US gallon. I think it’s probably a little more on the two northerly routes as no doubt the trucking charges come into play.

We are already seeing some American plates with truck campers and trailers come thru town. Not very many, but a few.

We have an 11000 ish kilometre 6 province 8 week tour coming up in theee weeks. Glad our tow vehicle is electric this year. Woohoo. 😊. This is the first time in 22 years we have done this with a trailer. Last two times were in a Motorhome. It’s going to be a little tighter living. 😊.

Good luck to our American neighbours coming north. Welcome and safe travels.

John.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom