Travel trailer and highway speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being a newbie pulling a camper, is it generally safe to travel at interstate speeds (assuming you are not having sway problems, etc)? I'm pulling a 26' camper in a 2021 ram 1500 4wd. I've read about camper tires not being reliable at high speeds and just wondered if that was a real issue?
Most truckers know what their doing. When their in the slow lane I just follow them. We drive from Cincinnati to Tampa. Once you enter Tennesee it's a climb. No big deal, just follow the trucks. I don't mind going 40 up because I'll be going 80 on the way down. LOL

I was stationed on the USS John C Stennis at Coronado. I'm originally from Long Beach Kalifornia. I know exactly what you mean... I'm glad to be out as well. Quite a bummer because I was a serious Dodger and Angels fan. Grandmother was too and she died before the Angels finally won one. So much I could say about this wretched state but I'd be dabbling into politics so I don't want to go there. No offense to anybody in this forum that is still in CA and likes it. We all loved the weather too but so much is going wrong now. My parents left as well. So many beautiful states out here. Before the Navy I thought CA was the best ever until everbody on the ship always said I'm sorry when they asked where I was from and I told them. Non-political topic is the traffic. holy good god. never again. I'm currently watching Arizona with a fine tooth comb. Wishing you all the best and likewise, Manchester TN is your home too. We're home to Bonnaroo if anybody likes that sort of thing. Have a huge driveway now and a 30 amp plug. Alot cheaper than KOA campground
Thank you for your service.

Somewhat off topic but I had to laugh. Wannabe Dale Earnhardt went screaming by at warp speed, five miles down the road he is sitting on the shoulder 'splainin. A short time later he again goes by again well over the limit. Guess what? I gave him a toot as I went by.
Way back when I was traveling with my kids. We were in a gas station at Kramer Junction on our way to Ridgecrest. Across the pumps from us was a guy in a Ferrari. The kids were oohing and ahhing at the car when we left the gas station. A few minutes later, he blasted by us at about Mach 2. 20 miles up the road we passed him while he was buying a ticket to the Policeman's Ball. My kids were rolling on the floor, laughing at him as we passed by...right on the limit.

Check your tire speed limit first. Many trailer tires are rated for 65 mph. You can replace them with higher speed rated tires, but we usually waited until the tires were getting near replacement to do that (yes, we drove enough that we went through multiple sets of tires). I also recommend getting a Bluetooth readable tire pressure monitoring system for the trailer. We had ours alert us twice to slow leaks caused by road debris. Blowing a tire at speed will cause significant trailer damage and may even cause a crash. Then try to enjoy the ride at a speed your rig and you feel comfortable. The amount of time you save by driving at a high speed is pretty negligible for a trip of 4-5 hours.

USS Saratoga CV 60 here out of Mayport Fl. 1 year in Iceland before that.
looked up Saratoga CV60 - decomm'd in 1994, the year I graduated from HS. Sara has been through a lot of History. Interesting to see the first Saratoga was sunk in the pacific I believe it said. I always wanted to go to Iceland. Someday.

USS Enterprise CVN 65
USS John C Stennis CVN 74
USS George Washington CVN 73 (GW Fire is an interesting look-up) was there during this event.

USS Austin LPD-4
Miss the Navy and would go back in a heart beat if they'd let me

Thank you for your service too

Look at your camper's tires. They will tell you how fast you can go. I believe they will read 65. I recommend 55-60. That's what I did when I had one.

Many years ago we made a rather fast trip from Oregon to Michigan so DW could visit relatives. We kept our near new MoHo at 55MPH from about 5AM to around 10 PM. We switched drivers every 2 hours or so. Stopped to sleep, eat and gas. Out in the middle of no where on I80 a Corvette passes us going like crazy. This was in the morning. Mid afternoon he shot past us again. Next morning he passed us a third time and zipped into the next rest area. You! 4 times in 2 days he passed us and he was driving I would guess 80. Speed makes little difference. Steady will get you there.

Many years ago we made a rather fast trip from Oregon to Michigan so DW could visit relatives. We kept our near new MoHo at 55MPH from about 5AM to around 10 PM. We switched drivers every 2 hours or so. Stopped to sleep, eat and gas. Out in the middle of no where on I80 a Corvette passes us going like crazy. This was in the morning. Mid afternoon he shot past us again. Next morning he passed us a third time and zipped into the next rest area. You! 4 times in 2 days he passed us and he was driving I would guess 80. Speed makes little difference. Steady will get you there.
Seen the same on our trips

When i am making a.long trip with the camper like florida to the rockies we usually travel about 8 hours a day. I usually drive 60. Fastest 65 with no wind and light traffic. My wife is great at picking interesting places to stop for the night. State parks are a favorite. We usually stop by 3 in the afternoon and set up camp, see what's going on and have plenty of time to grill a steak. We are in no hurry. The trip is part of the adventure.

A 20 minute stop every 2 hours will decrease your average speed by 20%. 75 MPH becomes a 60 MPH average speed. A 1 hour lunch break in the middle of an 8 hour driving day drops your average speed a similar amount.

Who said anything about stopping? Portland to Lansing MI in 70 hours, 1870 miles.

Last edited:
Depends on the size rig you have, road conditions, weather, traffic and your driving skills, just for a few things to consider. I pull a 25’ trailer with a Ford F-150 and in good conditions stay right around 65. Don’t mind having others pass me, as i can safely move along rarely having to pass anyone on a 4 lane highway. Rain or snow, i adjust the speed down accordingly. Same for high winds, especially a cross wind. Have fun, enjoy the trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom