Travel Trailer Slide Question Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jorgeoliva

I found the perfect travel trailer we like its a 2018 COLEMAN COLEMAN LIGHT LX 1755FD my main concern being we never had an TT is the kitchen microwave refrigerator sink etc its on a slider (see picture) are those going to give me trouble seeing that there constantly sliding in and out any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• RV123456.JPG
    RV123456.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 23
Our last trailer had the kitchen in a slide. Other than the factory had installed the fridge exhaust fan wrong, it never gave us any problems.

Certainly it's possible there could be a problem because of that, but it's unlikely that you'd have problems because of that. Three motorhomes with slide-mounted kitchens have done fine for me, no kitchen problems because of slides -- in fact, the only kitchen problem was a compressor going out on a residential-style fridge, and that certainly wasn't slide related.

There are very few reports here on kitchen slides causing problems because they simply house the kitchen. It is just another slide like any other. The only potential problem that comes to mind is the ventilation of the back of the fridge as the upper vent is in the sidewall, not the roof. But when that has been a problem it has been easily solved by simply adding a 12V fan in the back. Many installations already have such a fan anyway.

I just thought that the in and out movement of the slide in a kitchen was problematic thinking that were all the gas line plumbing etc are.

Jorgeoliva said:
I just thought that the in and out movement of the slide in a kitchen was problematic thinking that were all the gas line plumbing etc are.

They've designed the connections with that in mind, so they leave slack, tie down spots that might move wrong or get kinked, etc.

As others have already said, the plumbing and wiring is a bit more complex to allow for movement, but it's not a big deal and rarely a problem.

Having the refrigerator on a slide means the fridge venting is less effective than a direct-to-roof vent. Heat rises, so a roof vent is more effective than a side vent, so sometimes people add a fan to help the fridge shed its excess heat. If you expect to camp in a hot climate, that would probably be a wothwhile improvement.

great info yes were in Miami so it does get hot down here mostly for now were planning on taking weekend trips to campgrounds in Florida 3 to 4 days until we get the hang of this camping gig down there asking at camping world in ft myers $16.999 for this unit 2018 COLEMAN LIGHT LX 1755FD  4.200 lb so its just right for our ram 1500 but don't know if its a good price what do you guys think this will be our first travel trailer.

That's  a fairly typical asking price, but you should be able to negotiate a lower one. Be very careful at Camping World because they are well known for padding the bottom line (out the door price) with unnecessary extras, add-on fees, and expensive financing. There are some videos on their sales methods that make it seem like outright fraud, but I wouldn't go that far.  They do, though, often take extreme advantage of newbie buyers. Definitely research prices online and shop around. Even if you just use them for comparison and bargaining purposes at the dealer  you choose.

This video is maybe one-sided and clearly the narrator has his own sales interests at heart, but it is still a useful warning about some RV sales tactics. And CW isn't the only place with similar slick dealing.

https://vimeo.com/249621574

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom