Travel Trailer Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2018 Mesa Ridge 2802BH. I had one blow out last year and the tires were checked that morning to be at proper pressure. I blame it on the junk "China Bombs" that Highland Ridge puts on it's trailers. I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. I drove from Ohio to South Dakota and Wyoming and back as well as a trip to western Michigan and back at freeway speeds, sometimes 75mph in SD. While in SD the outside temperature was 100 degrees F. I have the optional TT TPMS from Ford installed on the trailer and kept an eye on the pressure while driving. The pressure went from 65 in the morning to 80 in the afternoon but no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend the Goodyear Endurance tire, if you can find them. Like most things today, tires are scarce also.

If you have load range D tires 65 psi, you are really pushing the envelope. If you have 15 inch wheels, Goodyear has the Endurance in load range E. You'll gain about 800lbs of load on each tire.

If you have load range D tires 65 psi, you are really pushing the envelope. If you have 15 inch wheels, Goodyear has the Endurance in load range E. You'll gain about 800lbs of load on each tire.
You'll only get the extra weight capacity if you inflate the E range tire to the higher Load Range E pressure. Make sure your rims are also rated to carry this extra pressure and weight.

At 65 psi it sounds like you've got 6-ply rated tires. It would definitely be in your favor to upgrade the rubber to 10-ply rated tires. I did this years ago not to prevent blowouts specifically but because the 6-ply's that came on the rig were wearing out in 10k miles. Now my tires age out before they wear out and that doesn't bother me in the least.

Trailer manufacturers generally install the cheapest tire they can to keep production costs low, i.e. one the just barely supports the trailer weight. Therefore it doesn't take much to overload the tires... an overloaded trailer or an underinflated tire (which can happen while rolling if you run over something) both lead to an overheated tire and eventual failure.

As others have recommended, I also increased the load rating on my TT's tires. It came with D-range (65psi max) and the two times I replaced them I installed E-range (80 psi max) twice and always kept them fully inflated. No failures in 6 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom