travel trailers with a rear kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docems

Does anyone have a travel trailer with a rear kitchen?  We like the layout but wonder about dishes and things in the fridge flying around during normal travel.  Most other units we have had either had a mid or front kitchen.  I was just wondering about the excess bouncing at the rear of the trailer.
Thanks.

Our first fifth wheel trailer had a rear kitchen.  It was a low-end trailer and did not have shock absorbers.  The dishes did bounce and I lost cups and bowls on rough roads.  I even had a salt shaker jump out of a 1 1/2" high bin.

Jeannine

Yes, a rear kitchen can be bouncy. Shock absorbers on the suspension will eliminate a lot of that bounce, but many trailers do not have them. They can be retrofitted, though.

We have a 5'er with rear kitchen. The plates are stored in the cabinets under the TV midships, no problem. We did lose a couple of Pyrex dishes stowed over the sink in our Alaska travels but the unexpected encounter of woop-dee-dos in Alaska wll launch your trailer. Shocks or no shocks things will break. Under normal travel in the lower 48 we have no problem with things breaking, just the spices jumping out of the rack.

Nelson

Thanks for all of the replies.. I guess I will keep looking...
I asked this question because I  had a fifth wheel with the full closet in the back and clothes kept jumping off of the hanging rod, so I just guessed with a rear kitchen that things would jump in the cabinets and the fridge..

That's a lot of hooey! The rear kitchen in my 28' fifth wheel provides way more counter and storage space than those teeny tiny mid kitchens. First time out I lost a few "good" plates - now I have really darling "Melmac" (remember those from the 50's?) type plates, bowls, platters, etc.
Spring and summer is a great time to buy them, as folks use them outdoors in the summer, and they are lighter and don't break even if you drop one. One thing to watch out for - can you get to your fridge when the slides are in - important if you stop on the road for a cold one!

Good luck either way - just get out there and start RVing!

Jane Ann

Our old TT had a rear kitchen and the only thing that would not stay put was the sink cover. Our first trip out I left it on the sink like you would normally and when we got to our destination it was in the bedroom. LOL Luckily it did not cause any damage. From then on it was put inside the sink at an angle. I did not lose any dishes but I only keep Corelle dishes and paper plates in the TT so I do not have any experience there.  My stuff in the fridge was always just as it was when loaded.  I did not have any other problems and ours did not have shock absorbers.

Consider storing your sink covers in the oven! That way you're not constantly moving them around - just take them out before baking brownies!

Jane Ann

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom