Travel Units RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wadosan

Hello forum,

New but experienced member here. I searched the forum concerning the manufacturer of my subject and found only one back in 2006 and they got no response. So thought I'd put this out again and see if I get crickets.  ;D

Anyone own a Travel Units 5th wheel? Know anyone who does?

Why am I asking? So our story is that we're about 10 years until retirement and I'm starting now to do the research on what we want to purchase in about 5 years. I'm very interested in a custom unit but the prices are a bit steep, understandably. However, this company appears to be more reasonably priced and I'm wondering why. I spoke briefly with one of the owners and obtained an up-to-date price list which has not changed very much at all in 6 years (their website has not been updated). He states that they can build it any way we'd like. I have not had any success in finding out more about this manufacturer by searching on the web. Thanks!

I spoke to these people about a year ago and they were very cooperative, however, I was looking for a unit to finish myself and they only deliver completed units....so once I found out they could not deliver what I was looking for I dropped it, but at some point in time, I may swing by their place and have a chat, it is very interesting to me for a custom unit.

Good Luck in your quest - not sure where you are but a vacation to have a sit down and talk to them may be in order, you have a 5 year time frame....

Jim

Wigpro said:
I spoke to these people about a year ago and they were very cooperative, however, I was looking for a unit to finish myself and they only deliver completed units....so once I found out they could not deliver what I was looking for I dropped it, but at some point in time, I may swing by their place and have a chat, it is very interesting to me for a custom unit.

Good Luck in your quest - not sure where you are but a vacation to have a sit down and talk to them may be in order, you have a 5 year time frame....

Jim

Yes a visit may be in order but I would want to try to learn a little more about them first. I didn't mention it earlier but I am compiling questions to ask them and if anyone would like to ask a question, I'd be happy to include it.

Another major builder of customized 5W's is New Horizons in Junction City, KS.  http://www.horizonsrv.com/

The reason you can't buy a partial RV is a legal one. The manufacturer has to certify that various national standards have been met in order for the RV to be titled and used. I believe every US states has adopted the RVIA RV construction standards as a pre-req for legitimate sale and title. These standards include adherence to national gas and electrical codes, which are also required by the states. Canadian provinces have nearly identical requirements. The alternative to an RV manufacturer certification is to classify the trailer has "home built", which puts the onus on the builder, but no RV manufacturer wants to muck around in the legal gray area of, for example, 65% factory & 35% home. You may also run into insurance issues with "home built". Probably not  a problem with a 10-16 foot camp trailer, but the larger and more house-like they get, the more likely it is that questions will be asked about standards compliance.

What some people do is buy a utility or horse trailer, basically a big empty box, and build their own living quarters in it.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Another major builder of customized 5W's is New Horizons in Junction City, KS.  http://www.horizonsrv.com/

Yes very familiar with New Horizons but they are very expensive. We'd be looking at something north of $120K, probably around $140K for a 5'er. My desire to learn more about Travel Units is their pricing is more reasonable...at least it appears to be from their price list. I may find out that TU's are no different.

I'm also familiar with SpaceCraft, Peterson Industries, and North American RV who also provide custom and high-end coaches. North American seems to be similar to Travel Units but they don't have a price list on their website so can't compare.

We've full timed in a 2002 36' Travel Unit for the last 5 years.  I was managing the detail shop at ppl motor homes in Houston when the trailer came through for detail.  Right off I noticed this trailer was very different than the other trailers.  The floors are solid, no give or bounce at all.  The only con is it is heavy, 18500 empty.  Since I've traded my 07 dodge 1 ton for the 13 dodge 1 ton w/aisin trans 4:10 diff the weight isn't an issue.  Slide outs are solid and insulated, you can stand on them.  1 ac unit cools the trailer in 100+ temps, running on low.  Need I say more?

The travel unit is by far the best made trailer I've come across. 

Back
Top Bottom