Traveling Out West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIvy

We are planning a trip out west (Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, ????) from Kentucky next summer.  Any absolute must sees and great campgrounds for motorhomes?  We are going to tow a car, so would like to stay in one place for several days at a time.  Also, we are going to fly our son, daughter and 7 year old grandson out at some point.  Anyone have a good spot to stay that will be a great family spot and lots to do for a 7 year old?  Is there a campground with horseback riding or ranch type activities?

Don't forget the Black Hills of South Dakota. Great place for kids and adults alike.

We really liked Cody, Wyoming;  Nightly rodeo, Buffalo Bill's Center for the West, Old Trail Town, Dug Up Gun Museum, Horse back riding, only 70 miles or so from the Yellowstone east entrance. Buffalo Bill's Center for the West alone is a two-day visit to take it all in. There are several RV parks, plus I believe they have an airport.

I would also highly recommend Rapid City, SD; Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse Monument, and Wind Cave.

The main PROBLEM with traveling the west is the reluctance  to LEAVE, and the desire to return, its difficult to do.>>>Dan

BIvy we are also planning on hitting the road west this coming spring early summer . gonna keep an eye on this thread and take some notes..

We stopped by The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. It was interesting. Can see the Palace in 1/2 day. Walls Drugs is a tourist trap, but you should see it if you can. Devils Tower is a little out of the way but should be seen. I agree with Cody, WY., Black Hills. Custer's State Park, Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument.

We happened to go through Cheyanne, WY. the week of the Cheyanne Rodeo. We found that as contestants are eliminated their families go home and that there are tickets for the Friday and Saturday performances. They have named musical performers and championship rodeo teams. We really enjoyed Reba McIntire and the rodeo on Friday night. We could not find a campground in Cheyanne, but were able to stay about 25-30 miles away in NE Colorado.   

We on the way home after four months out west. It has always been a beautiful place, but it will be good to see green grass and palm trees again. If you're in South Dkota must sees are Mt. Rushmore, the Black Hills and other landmarks. Try Wall Drug in Wall, SD. It's touristy, but worth a stop.

And after you see Mt Rushmore and the Black Hills if you go east on I90 about a 1/3of the way through SD you will see a small sign for $5 RV Express. I wish I remembered the exit cause Rand McNally 7725 doesn't list this CG.  It's real with 50amp service with dump station and water to fill your tanks. In the middle of nowhere.

Go back and dig up my post "Trip out West" It was built over a 6 or 7 month span on here and was very helpful in my planning. I took a 28 day trip from WNC to their. Best vacation ever!

The Ft. Collins, CO, KOA is a pretty good place for adults, kids and pets. Our Winnebago Club rallies there at least once a year. Downtown, which is a few miles away, is a delight. Great fishing and hiking around town. Micro brewery tours are fun for adults.

My favorite for west activities at a very reasonable price is Fort Robinson. Here is a trip advisor review of all the options.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g45508-d268048-r116960096-Fort_Robinson_State_Park-Crawford_Nebraska.html

Here is my review of our stay:
http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/2012/05/fort-robinson-nebraska-state-park.html

It is like going to a dude ranch in CO that cost big $s for very little $s. It is a great stopping off place between Mount Rushmore and Colorado. In my blog I cover many of the popular locations in the states you are planning to visit so let me know if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom