traveling with dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simone/Paul

Hello. My husband and I are 4 years from our dream of heading to the southern United States (from Canada) for the winter months. We have so many questions. Our biggest concern is finding RV parks that permit you to have large breed dogs. We will be traveling with our male Mastiff and female Doberman. My 2 questions are, 1. is it difficult finding RV resorts/parks that are dog friendly? 2. Do these RV resorts/parks discriminate when it comes to dog breeds?

Hmmm... Being I I'm a weekend warrior most and do a lot of boondocking I'm not much help. But the few times I've use RV parks I've had no issues with my male Doberman. But he's such a lover anyways.

Attachments

• diesel in jayco.jpg
    diesel in jayco.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18
Many RV parks say they are "pet friendly", although some will qualify it with "dependent on breed". We've had some RV parks ask "what breed?", while others didn't ask. Some didn't even ask if we had dogs and, in those cases, I volunteered the information and asked if they have an additional charge (some do, some don't).

There are a number of prior discussions here on this subject, although some contain heated debate.

Most parks are dog friendly I've seem some exceptions but they are rare.
You may find some that breed discriminate this is usually a result of local dangerous breed ordinances not the park.
Check with the places you intend to stay in advance.

@ Morparman - Nice to hear that you have not had no issues with your Doberman. Ours is a sweetie too.

@Tom - We are hoping it is few and far between that "depends on breed". I have seen ads for parks that require an additional fee, will avoid those if it can be helped. I will look for the other threads (I am sure they are heated!).

@Glen - Good! That gives me hope. Yes we will definitely plan ahead and call first.

Thanks for the replies, looking forward to hearing from others :)

I've been fulltiming over 5 years with a dog. Very rarely I've run across "no pets allowed" parks and think oh that is so sad! Many folks choose Rving because they want their pets to travel with them. Occasionally parks will restrict by dog weight and breed which I think is very unfair. I mostly travel around state, federal, county and city parks, and most of those seem to allow dogs of all types with rules about picking up poop and keeping them under control and the dogs not being a nuisance to wild life or others.

There are very few bad dogs but PLENTY of bad owners who don't take the time and effort to train their dogs so that they are happy, balanced and well behaved. Also some folks refuse to scoop poop and if it's a large breed, tripping over a mega pile is none too fun.

Many owners covert their dogs to "mutts" when a park bans specific breeds. It's silly to ban specific breeds, because it's up to the owners to train and exercise their pets so that they are quiet and well behaved.

Before you take off RVing, get your pets familiar with the RV and don't just land in a park then run off and leave them alone. Dogs need plenty of exercise and it's well worth the effort to train them to learn to stay alone quietly when need be. I personally try to take my dog just about every where, so he isn't locked home alone in the RV. However, my neighbors in a camp helped me train him as a puppy to learn to stay alone with all the shades up (he loves the views!) and not be a yapper.

I would tell my puppy to stay, then start walking off. Every time he yapped, I went back to correct him, then began the walk again. My neighbors were standing by with my cell phone number. I kept going back and fort, until finally puppy understood he had to stay quietly while I walked away without him. I was going to walk to a grocery store and the neighbors were going to call me on the cell phone once I was out of barking range, in case my puppy started howling again.

Well, after about 10 "false" starts because I had to keep going back to quiet down puppy, he finally got it and I was able to walk to and from the store without him and he stayed quietly. Mostly I just take him everywhere, but sometimes I need him to stay home alone while I do something where dogs can't go.

I exercise my dog at every stop while traveling, he loves his 1-2-3 minute walks and knows these are BRIEF, water the bushes, stretch your legs and off we go again. So he gets a 1 minute walk at gas stations, and when I stop my RV to shop for groeries or provisions, he waits in the rig quietly. When I return from shopping I "reward" him with a brief walk. If I am pushing a cart, I leash him up and we walk the cart back to the front of the store together. He LOVES this! Now he thinks it's his job to do cart return! On the way back we stop at any grass we can find to see if he needs to water it, some parking lots have no grass nearby and this can be a problem. But these mini-walks while traveling keep him very happy and content. Since I started that, he is much calmer when I finally arrive at the campground.

Usually I try to set up briefly, just level and plug in electric, then I exercise him on a trip around the campground walking. When we return, I can tether him outside with me while I finish setting up and he is plenty happy and quiet. I make sure my tethers do not allow him to reach other lots or the road. I've never had anyone complain about his tether, but I don't leave him alone outside either except for a few minutes here and there. Generally he is outside with me or inside with me.

Sadly I see many RV dogs don't get near enough exercise, then their owners go out for the day and the rest of us hear the yapping. If I know I am going to leave my dog alone while I dine out with friends, I PLAN AHEAD so that I exercise him BEFORE I leave him alone. He still gives me that super sad face, but he stays home quietly. I know because I ask the neighbors!

If your neighbors tell you that your dog was yapping away while you were gone, believe them and take measures to train your dog better and give him plenty plenty plenty of exercise.

You can see some real cute pics of my beloved spoiled rotten pooch on my blog.

We haven't found many "no dogs" parks. We have encountered more than a few with pet restrictions, sometimes size, sometimes breed, sometimes quantity. Unfortunately for you, those with breed restrictions usually include Dobermans on the list. But don't let that stop you as you should always be able to find a park that allows your hairy kids. And there's always boondocking.

@ Wendy - So sad to hear that Dobermans are commonly listed for banned breeds. I Think we will just have to really plan and call ahead as we do not want to do a lot of boondocking. We definitely won't let this obstacle stop us, thank you :)

@ MissMermaid - Wow, thank you for such a detailed response! My husband and I are experienced and very responsible dog owners who understand that the DOG'S needs must be met. Keeping our dogs on leash and scooping are a given. I cannot imagine leaving any mess behind. Our dogs exercise needs are my #1 priority. Our Doberman gets a 6 km run every day and our Mastiff a 5 km walk daily. This will not change during our time spent RVing. I don't imagine our dogs will spend much time away from our sides. Like you, when we are inside they will be in and when we are outside they will be outside with us. It is sad to hear (but I am not surprised) that some RV parks/resorts make the decision based on weight and breed. I can see it will be in our best interest to plan well ahead so we do not find ourselves stuck without a place to stop. Very interesting blog, I will have a closer look when I get a chance. Cute dog :)

Unfortunately the rules are usually due to insurance restrictions. Rivers End Campground on Tybee Island has this in their rules.

"Certain breeds of dogs have been identified by the insurance provider as having a history of unfriendly and aggressive behavior to both dogs and to humans."

It's a shame. The city dog park is right next to the campground. I saw some beautiful pets there last winter. All well behaved.

@ srs - On top of looking for a breed friendly camping site, we will also be looking for one in an area that is nice to walk around in or has good hiking trails. We love to be active outdoors with our dogs, part of the reason we are drawn to wanting the RV lifestyle. It is -40 degrees on any given winter day where we live. Not so fun for us or our dogs.

I have to stop and not grind my teeth when I hear businesses hiding behind "insurance" rules. Insurance companies are hotly competitive, it's not just a one size fits all. But enough of that...  :eek:

Who is to say a dog is a  mutt or a particular breed? If you aren't flashing around AKC papers, then you might own a mutt or Heinz 57 as far as the park is concerned.  8)

That being said... I recently went to a new vet for the first/last time. His receptionist REFUSED to accept that my doggy was of uncertain lineage and just a plain old mutt. She decided to create some "breed" and put that on his file. It kind of irritated me, because he is a mutt and I personally am against puppy mills, so I resented that she assigned him some lofty breed, as if I was in favor of shopping trendy puppy mills. All my life I've had cast offs and unwanted pets, what they now call "rescues" and they all appeared to be mixed breeds with a smattering of numerous varieties.

Now on to other things...  I mostly travel the federal, state, county and city parks. Most that I have encountered are pretty broad minded about pets, and the natural environment where these tend to be located in mother nature often provides plenty of trails for activities for canine/human exercise. I am under the weird assumption that maybe these parks feel like their rangers have better things to do than to go around checking "breeds" of pets.

From what I've seen, you basically want to conduct yourself and your canine kids so that no one has any reason to complain about you/them.

By the way... I find that living a fulltime RV lifestyle with a dog means having assorted leashes for the various occasions... Sometimes a plain old short leash is good for walking around very busy areas, so the dog is closely heeled. Othertimes a 20 foot flexileash allows the dog to roam a bit more on nature trails. Mine will sometimes stop to sniff while I keep walking and when I am 19 feet ahead, he will run 40 feet to be 20 feet in front of me, to stop and sniff around again until I catch up. It's kind of funny at times. Other times, he happily walks right with me, matching my steps.

I also recently discovered that FINALLY they came out with a strong belt type flexi-leash that is only 6 feet max. Amazon has it here: http://amzn.to/1K07b2n

This is heaven on earth for me and my pooch, especially around camps that restrict him to a 6 foot leash. This keeps him tangle free mostly and meets their 6 foot requirements.

Another thing I have taught my pet that makes us both plenty happy... We walk our garbage out at least once a day, often much more. I use the tiny grocery sacks in a small basket, so quick as one of those is full (and the kitchen one fills quickly!) I leash up the dog and walk him and the small bag of garbage to the dumpster. Once there, we loiter around the dumpster area to give him a chance to do his "business". Mostly he complies and I can toss the poop baggy away and not have to walk it around with me. Then we can continue our walk without the garbage and mostly without trotting around with a used poop baggy.

On another note... these dog owners that toss their used poop bags outside their rigs, sometime by their door, often by a tree near the road,  with the "idea" that next time they go to the dump they will take the baggies with them, drive me crazy. It seems that some parks are very windy and suddenly used dog poop bags are blowing around the park onto other camping lots! Those dog owners seems to never go track down their used poop bags that blew out into the street or onto another lot.

My dog is small so I use plain old sandwich baggies for his poop, so when a black bag of poop blows onto my lot, I know it's not mine, but I clean it up anyhow.

I have found a super simple method for storing used poop baggies. I took one of those big coffee cans, put a lid on the top and bottom (I hate rusty rings) and then for fun, I decorated the coffee can with some of that festive duck tape (I think my current coffee can is purple). Anyhow, I keep this decorated coffee can outside at all my camp sites. Not only does it hold errant garbage but it holds used poop baggies, should I return from a walk with a used poop baggie. Next time I am gathering up garbage, I can empty the coffee can into the grocery baggy for going to the dump. If a big wind comes along, I don't have my neighbors treated to little bags of poop blowing around their camp site.

So please don't toss your used poop bags on your own lot, very often they end up scattered or blown away, and what's the use of scooping poop, if you are going to litter all over again?  ;)

On my dog's outdoor tethers, I often use a 2 section system. In other words, I made a rope with a snap-hook on the end, where I can attach a plain leash and then the dog. If he tangles up his tether like wrapping it around the outdoor table leg, I am able to unhook his leash from the thin rope, untangle the rope then hook him back up again. Needless to say, my pooch is pretty active, he tends to go full speed ahead when awake and drags his toys all over the camp lot while playing. Silly dog!

Speaking of leashes.... please stay away from the flexi leashes that use strings rather than belts. The strings are impossible to see, they tangle up easily if 2 dogs do the sniff-in-circles and those dreadful string type flexi leashes can slice a thigh or calf or ankle drawing blood!

Twice now I've had my leg painfully sliced open in a nanosecond  by other people's flexi leashes who were using the cheap string type when their enthusiastic dog ran right past me, drawing blood. So please consider the extra expense of belt flexi leashes not the horrible string type ones.

More about that purple coffee can... I just looked back at my last campsite, where I snapped a pic after setting up. You can see the purple coffee can is sitting on the table. Besides the occasional used dog poop bag, I use that purple can for errant garbage. I like to clean up a campsite when I arrive. I pick up all the cig butts, the beer tops, the juice straws and all the crap left behind by the previous campers that maintenance failed to pick up. The purple coffee can is perfect for tossing in this garbage. Quick as I think my site is tidy, I see another bit of garbage, maybe a gum wrapper or something, I can keep tossing it in the coffee can. So this decorated coffee can is great as a little outdoor garbage can and the snap on lid, keeps it dry and prevents my garbage from blowing away to the next site.

Attachments

• 6 foot flexileash with belt not string.jpg
    6 foot flexileash with belt not string.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 8
  • setting up my camp with the purple coffee can.JPG
    setting up my camp with the purple coffee can.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 17
You don't say what province you are from but we are in the same boat and have been watching  posts about dogs..however, ours a a lot smaller..

We have always traveled with them and don't want to change now..

MissMermaid, you said it perfectly..no bad dogs, just bad dog owners..

subscribed..

Grassy

@ Grassy & MissMermaid - We live in Manitoba (the Interlake area). Where are you from Grassy? We do not plan on selling our home as we want to come back and spend our 5-6 good weather months here. We will be spending 6-7 months probably in Texas or Arizona. Would like to spend the first couple of years touring around the southern states to see which states we prefer. Ideally we'd like to spend at least one month at each spot to take advantage of lower pad fees, then once we find a place we really like we would spend the whole winter in one spot. We have friends that take their motorhome to Bucerias Mexico every year, so we are not ruling out Mexico either. We have been to New Mexico, Florida, California, Nevada, and Arizona, but just quick holidays with no time to really see much. Texas would be new to us.

As for dog breeds, I will have to be polite, but I have no time for people who discriminate against certain dog breeds, they know nothing about dogs, dog behavior, dog psychology. So we will leave it at that as I could go on forever on that subject. MissMermaid I agree with you on the mutt issue. What's up with that vet?! I love your idea of using the coffee can, perfect for a small dog. With our two I would take them off our camping area to do there business and pick up there. The poops are too big and it would become smelly if I allowed that. Thank you for suggesting a flexileash, but there are not suitable for our dogs. My dogs are well trained to heal on leash and because of their size and strength combined with a strong prey drive, I have to have complete control over them. A flexileash is asking for trouble. If I had a small dog, maybe. As for tie-outs, my dogs are never tied up as we have a half acre fenced area for them to play here at our home. It will be something we will have to do when we RV. Something new to teach them. Will have to have extra walks and runs living in a small space, and trial and error with the tie-outs. I am thinking we would set up dog beds under the awning with water dishes. Hoping to also purchase an easy set up gazebo/screened tent at our sites for relaxing in with the dogs.

Thanks for the conversation, link, and photo  :)!

You are so right about the flexileash. When I had large dogs, I never had a flexileash, only regular leashes.

The big boys don't seem to have the tangling issue like little dogs, mine stops to smell the roses and next thing he is tangled up with his leash wrapped around his legs, the short 6 foot flexileash solved that problem mostly.

My current puppy is  a super active 3 kilo dog (6.6 pounds) who tangles up with leashes so the short  flexi is a good choice for him. The big dogs never seemed to tangle, maybe because they were taller and larger.

A few campgrounds have nice dog parks where the dogs can roam off leash inside a fenced area. I try to favor those when I can, but they are hard to find. Maybe I should start a list as I find them.

Another trick, when planning my trips from campground to campground, I search for fenced off leash dog parks that might be along the way. This is a great way for both of us to take a break from riding and driving. Of course usually I have to detour to get to the dog parks, but my pooch loves the thrill of playing with others and running wild and free. Sometimes afterwards, we get back in the motorhome for a picnic or a snack before driving again.

You sound like wonderful dog owners, giving your dogs tons of exercise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jricker
Back
Top Bottom