Trickle charge Winnie in the winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w7rjr

Should I leave my 2016 31KE Vista plugged into shore power over the winter? Will it trickle charge the batteries? I don’t want to over charge them. Thanks.

Should I leave my 2016 31KE Vista plugged into shore power over the winter? Will it trickle charge the batteries? I don’t want to over charge them. Thanks.
Why not use a couple of external trickle chargers?

If you have a multistage power converter, then by all means leave it connected. If the converter is single stage it may possibly cook the batteries. There is a device called a Trik-L-Start that will "steal" power from the house to keep the engine battery topped off. It has safety features so it won't run the house batteries down nor kill the engine battery.

Charles

My gosh, I have left all my RVs plugged in starting in 1976 with my first motor home. Check the batteries monthly and don't worry about it.

Find the manual for the charger and look for "multi stage charger" or "three stage charger" in the overview. There are some Winnebago models and model years that had dumb chargers (could possibly cook the batteries.)

Typically the lower end RV models have basic versions of auxiliary equipment like chargers, microwaves, entertainment systems, etc.

If you have complete faith that nothing will happen to your AC power source this can work. Given the number of folks that post on the forums "something" happened - tripped breaker, zapped equipment, blown fuse, unplugged cords - and subsequent dead batteries, you can roll the dice for yourself.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom