truck camper on 1/2 ton F150?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there are many good quality licensed and insured fabrication shops all over out here in the Western U.S.,  shops that build custom desert race vehicles and all terrain RV's that could do any modification to that truck you want.

I'm sure there's a shop near you.  Talk to local people with modified vehicles where you live. 

As a general rule....An RV dealer will say what ever you want to hear,  to make a sale.

DenNukem said:
I sympathise with Hobie1.

Latest version of F150 has aluminium frame, shaving off a few hundreds pounds. A stripped down trim (5.0L, 2wd, simple cab, long bed) is indeed rated for 3270lb payload by Ford (second to last page of the brochure [1]). F250 payload starts close to that number (third from the last page at [3]) and goes up form there. I think the heavy duty did not receive the aluminium treatment (yet?), so that's why the gap is fairly narrow between them.

So temptation is strong! F150 has much better fuel economy (up to 24mpg) and acceleration (5.9 sec 0-60) than f250/350. They say that heavy duty is more of a tank, by comparison, not nearly as much fun to drive and not suitable as a daily driver. But then of course as others noted, you start getting into it, and adding 4wd, super crew cab, and payload drops to 2700lb.  ??? That's before bells and whistles ???

But let's see if the math can be made to work still? Looking at the other side - Lance 650 (the smallest one they have [2]) is 1900lb wet, plus 200lb for options (a/c, electric jacks), we're looking at 2100lb out of our 2700 budget, that leaves 600lb. Me and mine will be 200lb each including personal belongings and food, so we still have 200lb left for other gear and for, well, any surprises coming from both Ford and Lance.

For their part Lance actually lets you configure the camper and they show you the complete configured weight, so it should give you a pretty good idea of what you're getting before you're getting it. Ford is not as accommodating, alas, so surprises will come for sure...

You could also shave off some weight: removing rear seats and the tailgate might save what, 100-200lb? Give up 4wd and you get back another 200lb.

It's very close, but it might just work out.

[1] F150 Brochure https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018
[2] Lance campers https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/
[3] F250/350 brochure https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2018

:)) :))

Well, "in an abundance of counselors there is safety."  lets narrow this down....im an old-school tent camper. Why? its simple and secondly economical. But my wife has officially retired from tent camping. so we're NOT looking for a luxury truck camper. if we want luxury, we use our time-share resort. its simple and 1st class. I like simple and i thought a truck camper would be simpler than towing as we could stop in rest-stop and take a nap or need be, Wal-mart parking lot. or pull in state park spend night and truck on.  we don't need a shower and microwave.  furthermore from experience, i don't load more than 80% of capacity. too much sway, slippage, and wear and tear. What do ya'll think about the popup truck campers?  they are much lighter than hard-sides.

Hobie1 said:
yep thats the one. new alum structure with 10 speed trany and v6 turbo.. ranks up there with older f250.
I have a 2018 F150 xlt 4x4 supercrew. Payload is 1851 lbs for mine. I love the truck, 3.5l v-6 is a monster, and the 10 speed transmission is a dream...but you'll have to hunt high and low to find one that's equipped "just right" to hit that max payload.

Hobie1 said:
This empty-nester is looking forward to traveling across country in truck-camper and don't know what is the best size/type to fit my 1/2 ton pu? payload is 3275lbs. Please reply with recommendations.
I hope you realize that 32xx lb payload is a gvwr based payload from the front and rear axles.  And if a  owner placed a 3200 lb camper in the bed of the F150 truck it will overload the trucks 4800 RAWR. RAWR = axle/tires/brakes/wheels and rear spring pack.

As one poster says the yellow payload sticker has no legal purpose for how much a truck can legally/safely carry. Its not the holy grail some rv folks make it out to be.

Now lets run some numbers for you.
Most F150HDPP owners I've seen say their trucks rear axle weighs in the 2150-2250 lb range all depending on cab/drivetrain selections and actual front and rear axle scale weights.
Now add 3250 lb load in the bed such as a truck camper = 5300 lbs on the trucks rear axle . Another severally overloaded F150.

The most any F150HDPP with its 4800 RAWR can carry in the bed is in the 2400-2500 lbs range.
  Another example of the silly  yellow gvwr based payload stickers...... a F350SRW 7230 rawr truck owner says his truck has a 4220 lb payload. His trucks rear axle weighed 3240 lbs...now add a 4220 lb payload in the bed = 7460 lbs for another overloaded truck. He was big talking suing Ford and his dealer cause he couldn't carry all 4000 lbs from his truck camper in the bed.

If your looking for a 3000 lb gross weight truck camper you will need a new gen 3/4 or one ton SRW truck with their much larger 6500-7230 rawr.

Check out some of the truck camper websites and other forums for more input.

BoomerD said:
I have a 2018 F150 xlt 4x4 supercrew. Payload is 1851 lbs for mine. I love the truck, 3.5l v-6 is a monster, and the 10 speed transmission is a dream...but you'll have to hunt high and low to find one that's equipped "just right" to hit that max payload.
ive never owned a Ford due to inferior trany but glad to hear the new 10 speed is a dream and v6 is a monster!

longhaul said:
I hope you realize that 32xx lb payload is a gvwr based payload from the front and rear axles.  And if a  owner placed a 3200 lb camper in the bed of the F150 truck it will overload the trucks 4800 RAWR. RAWR = axle/tires/brakes/wheels and rear spring pack.

As one poster says the yellow payload sticker has no legal purpose for how much a truck can legally/safely carry. Its not the holy grail some rv folks make it out to be.

Now lets run some numbers for you.
Most F150HDPP owners I've seen say their trucks rear axle weighs in the 2150-2250 lb range all depending on cab/drivetrain selections and actual front and rear axle scale weights.
Now add 3250 lb load in the bed such as a truck camper = 5300 lbs on the trucks rear axle . Another severally overloaded F150.

The most any F150HDPP with its 4800 RAWR can carry in the bed is in the 2400-2500 lbs range.
  Another example of the silly  yellow gvwr based payload stickers...... a F350SRW 7230 rawr truck owner says his truck has a 4220 lb payload. His trucks rear axle weighed 3240 lbs...now add a 4220 lb payload in the bed = 7460 lbs for another overloaded truck. He was big talking suing Ford and his dealer cause he couldn't carry all 4000 lbs from his truck camper in the bed.

If your looking for a 3000 lb gross weight truck camper you will need a new gen 3/4 or one ton SRW truck with their much larger 6500-7230 rawr.

Check out some of the truck camper websites and other forums for more input.
wow! this is really complicated....i may just stay with tent camping, by myself, and resort vacations with my wife. i really don't want to buy a big truck just for an annual trip.  Thanks

Why are you opposed to a small travel trailer?

Truck campers have some advantages, particularly boondocking, and ease of pulling over for lunch and quick stops. but there are distinct disadvantages as well.

If the primary reason is to comfort your other half, she will appreciate a travel trailer a lot more.  Not to mention there will numerous options for your truck.

Otherwise a popup TC is in your future, IMO.

longhaul said:

:)) :)) :))  thank you.

and now....The Sticker Police will say you're wrong.... and you should not be giving advice.

Gods Country said:

Truck campers have some advantages, particularly boondocking, and ease of pulling over for lunch and quick stops. but there are distinct disadvantages as well.

If the primary reason is to comfort your other half, she will appreciate a travel trailer a lot more.  Not to mention there will numerous options for your truck.

longhaul said:
Gods Country said:

the primary reason i don't like towing is an extra axle, wheel bearings and tires to deal with. If it breaks down on hwy or small town, you lose 3 days to a week of vacation time.  That's my greatest fear. otherwise its alot easier to match with truck. what's your experience with towing?

Lowell said:
Maybe this would work for you?

https://www.topperezlift.com/#!
Now thats innovative! A tent on truck bed.  i could take my kayak and mountain bike.  :))

Hobie1 said:
the primary reason i don't like towing is an extra axle, wheel bearings and tires to deal with. If it breaks down on hwy or small town, you lose 3 days to a week of vacation time.  That's my greatest fear. otherwise its alot easier to match with truck. what's your experience with towing?
Then I suggest you forget RVing, it would not be for you. There are many issues that can possibly pop up while RVing. Use a car and a motel then nothing can go wrong. ::)

Hobie1 said:
what's your experience with towing?

Easy peasy.
Hauling a truck camper is a lot more strain on the vehichle, IMO.  I hauled one a bit and although the truck carried it well, stopping was more of a concern (no brake assistance).

A flat tire can happen to anyone, a will eventually.  Bearings aren't a grave concern.  Maintain them properly, and be aware that they need attention.  Carry a spare set.  I always check for heat whenever I stop for gas, or any other reason.  Bearings don't just fly apart.  There are warning signs if you look for them. 

These days it can be just as difficult (or harder) to get truck parts.  The plethora of parts just between model years can be frustrating. 

Have the proper tires for the trailer even if that means buying new tires immediately.  Keep them properly inflated.

I think it's a fear we all have at first.  But after a few trips you won't even think about it, beyond routine awareness.

ETA:

I worry more about the complexity of repairing a modern truck, over the modest simplicity of a trailer.

Hobie1 said:
Well, "in an abundance of counselors there is safety."  lets narrow this down....im an old-school tent camper. Why? its simple and secondly economical. But my wife has officially retired from tent camping. so we're NOT looking for a luxury truck camper. if we want luxury, we use our time-share resort. its simple and 1st class. I like simple and i thought a truck camper would be simpler than towing as we could stop in rest-stop and take a nap or need be, Wal-mart parking lot. or pull in state park spend night and truck on.  we don't need a shower and microwave.  furthermore from experience, i don't load more than 80% of capacity. too much sway, slippage, and wear and tear. What do ya'll think about the popup truck campers?  they are much lighter than hard-sides.

I have a small used old TT and I LOVE it... I've been done sleeping on the ground for years (time-share spoiled me) we got a high quality blow-up mattress.... but really the TT is the way to go.... a small used one with basics (think bowler) is a good options and really much easier to deal with... although there is a bunch of new TOWING discussion that will happen...lol.. look around for rental places and give that a try! you will be surprised!

Nothing simpler then just hooking up to my TT and going... it is already packed!! just grab groceries on the way and pack it into the fridge or a cooler and away we go!

The problem with most truck mounted campers is even the lightest campers are really heavy.

IMO, Forget about Truck mounted Campers....It sounds like you are not really an experienced large vehicle driver and truck mounted campers with a high load center are not the easiest driving RV's.

So why not look at a nice class B van type motorhome ?  No towing,  pull over and sleep easy,  even a shower in many.

For the same cost of a new truck and camper you can get a very comfortable driving Class B motorhome.  No bigger than a pickup truck is and everything you need is right behind you.

Gods Country said:
OMG, so are speed limits and stop signs.

Holy crap.

Stop giving advice.
It's dangerous.

You really have no idea what you're taking about.

Longhaul:
That comes from statements like this when I said that... :D

Gods Country said:
Easy peasy.
Hauling a truck camper is a lot more strain on the vehichle, IMO.  I hauled one a bit and although the truck carried it well, stopping was more of a concern (no brake assistance).

A flat tire can happen to anyone, a will eventually.  Bearings aren't a grave concern.  Maintain them properly, and be aware that they need attention.  Carry a spare set.  I always check for heat whenever I stop for gas, or any other reason.  Bearings don't just fly apart.  There are warning signs if you look for them. 

These days it can be just as difficult (or harder) to get truck parts.  The plethora of parts just between model years can be frustrating. 

Have the proper tires for the trailer even if that means buying new tires immediately.  Keep them properly inflated.

I think it's a fear we all have at first.  But after a few trips you won't even think about it, beyond routine awareness.

ETA:

I worry more about the complexity of repairing a modern truck, over the modest simplicity of a trailer.
i hear you there! Im driving a 2005 trailblazer, low miles but getting parts takes at least 24 hours. and electronic complexity? is unreal.

sightseers said:
The problem with most truck mounted campers is even the lightest campers are really heavy.

IMO, Forget about Truck mounted Campers....It sounds like you are not really an experienced large vehicle driver and truck mounted campers with a high load center are not the easiest driving RV's.

So why not look at a nice class B van type motorhome ?  No towing,  pull over and sleep easy,  even a shower in many.

For the same cost of a new truck and camper you can get a very comfortable driving Class B motorhome.  No bigger than a pickup truck is and everything you need is right behind you.
:)) :)) my limited experience with 3/4 ton is navigating parking lots. very challenging. and elevated load center, hadn't thought about that. especially driving through Bertha Pass with wind or blizzard, no guard rails and 1000ft drop. or highway 7 in Ozarks Yikes! thanks for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom