TT in a tenting site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Champness

Hi, somewhat new to traveling with a travel trailer. It's a relatively small TT, 18 feet and we tow with a f150. That makes us 42 feet overall with the combined TT and tow vehicle. So, I am aware that when I'm on a long trip and I show up at a desirable campground (meaning relatively nearby when I'm getting tired), there might not be any available sites set aside for travel trailers. Is it generally a rule that a travel trailer would be unwelcome to rent a tenting site? Of course, they might not have any tent sites with a big enough parking spot. But if parking was not a limitation. Also, assuming that we would boondock in the tenting site, meaning we wouldn't expect any hookups or electricity. Would this be an unusual request?
Thanks
-Chris

Totally depends on the campground and their rules. I doubt you will find that many that you can get your rig in.

I've put tents in RV sites but it's a pretty fair bet you'll never see a trailer in a tent site. Maybe it's an insurance thing or they don't want to raise the ire of other tent campers. I get you're just coming up with a contingency plan, but based on my experience you'll need a different plan.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I've put tents in RV sites but it's a pretty fair bet you'll never see a trailer in a tent site. Maybe it's an insurance thing or they don't want to raise the ire of other tent campers. I get you're just coming up with a contingency plan, but based on my experience you'll need a different plan.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Yes, I definitely get your point. Thanks for the feedback!

I have limited amount of campgrounds I have seen but for the most part the tent only sites I have seen either will not fit any size TT or would be impossible to back it in.

Hi, somewhat new to traveling with a travel trailer. It's a relatively small TT, 18 feet and we tow with a f150. That makes us 42 feet overall with the combined TT and tow vehicle. So, I am aware that when I'm on a long trip and I show up at a desirable campground (meaning relatively nearby when I'm getting tired), there might not be any available sites set aside for travel trailers. Is it generally a rule that a travel trailer would be unwelcome to rent a tenting site? Of course, they might not have any tent sites with a big enough parking spot. But if parking was not a limitation. Also, assuming that we would boondock in the tenting site, meaning we wouldn't expect any hookups or electricity. Would this be an unusual request?
Thanks
-Chris
If it's just overnight you can pull into the truck and RV section at most rest areas ( some States not) and sack out. Most WalMarts, Sam's, Cracker Barrel, some Cabela's and Bass Pro, allow overnighters as well.

I have limited amount of campgrounds I have seen but for the most part the tent only sites I have seen either will not fit any size TT or would be impossible to back it in.
I agree Babe. Most RV parks use small spaces that could not otherwise be used, they are made into tenting sites instead of ignoring valuable land.

You have a couple of different definitions to work with here regarding the OP's question.

From my point of view some campgrounds, especially privately owned will have areas designated for tents only. These sites are generally small, many will not have individual parking spaces and it's quite obvious parking any kind of RV just wouldn't work. However, you then will find many government-run campgrounds such as state, COE, and national forests, that will have "no hook-up sites" that you might see tents on, but you'll also see RVs parked there either cause they are nicer sites, closer to a body of water, more private and so forth. Usually, these sites are just as large as the electric (and possibly water and sewer) sites but they have no utilities running to them. At these types of campgrounds and sites, the OP could pull in for an overnight at a very low rate and enjoy the comforts of a nice secure campsite while taking advantage of their own electrical and water supply.

I know for a fact that one of the campgrounds on Skyline Drive will not allow anything with wheels to park on the grass area of the site. I had a small pop up camper behind my motorcycle. The ranger made me move it so the wheels were only on the gravel drive. I could put the tent area of the camper on the grass though. This is what it looks like:
IMG_0150.JPG

Actually, every campground will have different rules so you really need to check with the campground management first to see if it's acceptable or not.

Generally, RV do not park in tent sites. Tent sites are almost always grassy spots and maybe, just maybe, have a small spot to park a vehicle. As a general rule (not every campground) does not want anything "parking" on the grass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom