Tunnels & Propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everywhere I have traveled the only requirement for campers is that the LP bottle must be turned off.  Some places have a pull off so you can turn them off and back on.  If your like me, your refrigerator runs AC or LP and that is about the only thing that should be on, and that is questionable too.  I would suggest that the fridge be run for 24 hours to reach max cool with all your food in it, then turn it off and go.  When you pull off for lunch or whatever, turn it on and let it recover some of the temp.  I do this and have never had anything go bad.  One way of being sure things are cold is to put an ice cube in a plastic cup in the freezer.  If the cube melts and refreezes it will be in the bottom of the cup and a different shape.  Hope this helped.
Dave

Take RT 1 and RT 113 through Delaware to Rt 13 in Maryland and Virginia across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel into Virginia Beach. Propane is allowed in the tunnels, but the bottles/tanks must be shut off first. There is a rest area to pull into on the Northbound side of 13 just before the CBBT that's easy to get into and out of, so you can turn your propane off there. Overnight parking is allowed there also.

clown9644 said:
Everywhere I have traveled the only requirement for campers is that the LP bottle must be turned off.  Some places have a pull off so you can turn them off and back on.

That won't work around Baltimore, they flat don't allow propane in the tunnels there.

brullo said:
Heading from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach, how do I avoid tunnels in MD on I-95.
You don't worry about it unless there is a sign prohibiting ANY propane bottles in the tunnel.  Some tunnels require RV's to turn off the propane tank.  Very few tunnels prohibit any propane, but it seems like I remember seeing alternate routes posted along with the prohibition sign.

A quick internet search came up with this:
Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

An alternate route is given. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondie1956!
Back
Top Bottom