TV antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shearhawk

The amplifier gave out on our Winegard Antenna.  I am considering replacing with a Boomerang Ant.  Since it is low profile and we keep forgetting to lower the mast.  Anybody have any experience with the quality of the Boomerang.

Thanks,
Randy

shearhawk said:
The amplifier gave out on our Winegard Antenna.  I am considering replacing with a Boomerang Ant.  Since it is low profile and we keep forgetting to lower the mast.  Anybody have any experience with the quality of the Boomerang.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

I'm not sure what a Boomerang antenna is, I've never seen one. But I don't think you can beat the Winegard. I would replace the amplifier.

What I do to remember to lower the Winegard is take a spring loaded cloths pin and with a pen or sharpie write "Winegard" on it. When the antenna is up you put the cloths pin on the steering wheel. When you lower the antenna you put the cloths pin on the antenna crank. I have cloths pins to remind me of several things before the MH moves. If there is a cloths pin on the steering wheel....the MH doesn't move.

Boomerang looks like, well, a boomerang on a pedastal. Sort of a graceful flying V shape. You often see them on B-vans.

I would replace the amplifier and stick with the Wineguard. For one thing, it can be oriented toward the available signal. And the amp helps too.

I will support Roamer here,  TV antennas come in basically two versions, Directional and omin-directional

The Boomarang "Flying V" is an Omni, good if you are headed down the road and the path to the TV transmitter is constantly changing, but never as good as even a simple Dipole pointd in the proper directions.

The Wineguard "BatWing" antenna is such a dipole  You get, at the minimum, twice the signal when properly pointed and that is TO THE PRE-AMP. (amplifier)

Plus in many cases you can adjust it to eliminate multi-path ghosts, can't do that with an Omnidirectional

I believe Wineguard makes a direct replacement for the "Batwing" which happens to be a sat dish,  Same mount, same basic operation, Same hole in the roof (important)

Or you can do what I did and get an automatic sattalite antenna

They don't work well when you are parked under a tree however

Back
Top Bottom